[209 E. Pine]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the southeast corner of a two-story, white frame house located at 209 E. Pine in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival-style architectural details including slender Doric columns around the porch.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 17 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the southeast corner of a two-story, white frame house located at 209 E. Pine in Palestine, Texas. It has Classical Revival-style architectural details including slender Doric columns around the porch.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 209 E. Pine taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. The centrally-placed door on the front suggests this dwelling has a central passage or hallway. Most local examples of this vernacular house form are only a single story in height, have a side-gabled roof, and are only one room deep. Deviating from the norm, this 2-story frame residence has a hipped roof and a plan that is two rooms deep. The porch with its slender Doric columns suggests an influence of the Classical Revival style. The earliest known occupants of this house were R.R. Sadler, a tax assessor at the courthouse, and his wife Tab, who lived here as early as 1926. By 1930 the house was occupied only by Tab Saddler and a renter, probably indicating the death of Mr. Sadler. About 1934, John C. Harding and his wife Lena purchased the house, but they lived here for only a few years. The house was vacant in 1937, and by the early 1940s it was occupied by Mrs. Annie M. Henson, the widow of Henry Henson.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 6:13 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 10, 2018, 11:03 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 17

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.768778, -95.630373

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [209 E. Pine], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10669/: accessed August 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.