[503 N. Queen]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and side of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located at 503 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas, viewed from the corner of Queen and Oak streets. The white, handmade brick building has a square tower on the corner and features many Gothic arch-style windows.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 27 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and side of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located at 503 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas, viewed from the corner of Queen and Oak streets. The white, handmade brick building has a square tower on the corner and features many Gothic arch-style windows.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of W. Oak taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. Successor to 1874 church of St. Joseph, built on site given by International and Great Northern Railway, and destroyed by fire in 1890. This building of handmade brick was begun later that year; Nicholas J. Clayton of Galveston was the Architect.

The history of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church began in 1872, when Father Louis Granger came to Palestine. Father Granger traveled by horseback to say Mass in the Masonic Hall on Rusk Road (now Lacy Street) and then on to Huntsville to say Mass at the State Penitentary. In 1873, the International and Great Northern Railroad gave a site at the corner of Oak and Queen Streets, Lot No. 9 and 10 were deeded to His Excellency, Bishop Dubuis. The original church, 13x60’ in size, was named St. Joseph’s and was completed in 1873. Palestine’s local fire department was hosting the state’s firemen’s convention n 1890 when the wooden church building burned to the ground.

Father Badelon was the first resident, coming in 1874 and serving until 1878. While here he bough the adjoining lot for $1.00 and in 1874 brought the first teaching sisters, the Sisters of St. Agnes, who opened a school on Lacy and North Jackson Streets.

Father Chaland came in 1878 and remained until 1899. During this time the Sisters of Divine Province replaced the Sisters of St. Agnes in the school. Land was purchased in 1884 for St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery. In 1886, at the request of the railroad, Father Chaland brought the Sisters of Charity of Incarnate Word to conduct the railroad hospital.

In 1899, Father C.M. Thion came as pastor replacing Father Chaland. When the church burned, services were held in the Chapel of St. Mary’s Academy until a new church could be built. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1890 and dedicated to the most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father Thion built a two room rectory behind the church, and in March 1900, the lot to the side of the church was purchased for $600.00. The following year, 1901, the land was purchased where the present rectory is today.

Father Bernard Lee came in 1901 and served for 15 years. During his pastorate in 1902 the Altar Society was organized, in 1903 the Queen’s Daughters were organized and in 1908, the Knights of Columbus instituted a council in Palestine.

Father George Wilhelm came in December 1915 and during his pastorate the present rectory was built. In 1918, the Sisters of Charity of Incarnate Word discontinued their work at the railroad hospital.

In November 1920, Father R.C. Frei came to Palestine and stayed until 1926, being replaced by Father J.J. Kearn. In 1931, Father Kearn organized the Holy Name Society. In 1932 Father J.T. Moriarty succeeded Father Kearns and during his pastorate the St. Joan of Arc Society was established. The beautiful new marble altar was installed in 1932, a gift of Mrs. Georgiana Von Donner.

When Father Moriarty became ill, Father J.M. Cody came to substitute and was made administrator of the Parish on March 8, 1946. Msgr. J.T. Fleming was the next pastor and during his service, the fresco of the Transfiguration over the main altar was restored.

Father E.J. Brumleu came in 1957, then Father Leo Wleczyk in 1975. The present paster is the Rev. Zacharias Kunnakkattuthara.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume V, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 2:46 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 19, 2014, 12:26 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 27

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.762658, -95.634518

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [503 N. Queen], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10738/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.