Texas Almanac, 1964-1965 Page: 63
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
LANDMARKS OF TEXAS
northwest of Smithville is site of J. T. Harde- delicate beal
man home. About three miles west of Smith- reconstructe
ville on Highway 71 is site of stage stand and including a
post office before turn of century. Three miles living quart
northeast of Smithville is site of Tonkawas Adjacent to
Camp Ground. State Histor
BELL: At Salado is home of Elijah Ster- nando Cathe
ling Clack Robertson, a Texas pioneer, soldier, toric signifi
lawyer and one of the founders of Salado Col- ernor's Pal
lege. At Salado is also home of Welborn Bar- now maintal
ton, pioneer physician and trustee of Salado Senora de I
College. It was built in 1866. Salado College *The Alam
was built in 1860, later burned and was rebuilt Only the char
in 1913 but again burned. Only ruins remain, however; and
Old Shady Villa Inn, now Stagecoach Inn, at quired the adj
Salado, restored and now used as hotel and the major pt
restaurant. Built in 1860. Orville Thomas Ty- fought. In 19
ler home built in 1857 at Salado. Site marked. state and a
Old Military Road and Chisholm cattle trail the Alamo. T
passed here. Restored are Capt. R. B. Halley lic of Texas
home, 1869; Dr. B. D. McKie home, 1869, school girl,
once used as college; and Levi Tenney home, grounds.
1869. W. R. Berry-Vickrey home, old stage
stop, has been enlarged. Statue of Peter Hans-
brough Bell, Governor of Texas and active
through the period of the Revolution, is in
Belton, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
servance. Fort Hood built at Killeen to train
tank-destroyer units during World War II.
Permanent Army fort; it is active today.
Little River Fort, known as Smith's Fort,
Block-House and Fort Griffin, established on
Little River in November, 1836, by George B.
Erath. Santa Fe Expedition camped here
June 24-29, 1841. Near Temple is marker on
site of Bird Creek Indian Battle, May 26, 1839,
where Capt. John Bird and others died de-
fending frontier against Indians. South of Bel-
ton site of Childers-Shanklin mill; first water-
power mill in Bell County built in 1847 by
Robert Childers; sold in 1856 to G. W. Shank-
lin. On Salado Creek, the Phillips mill, built in
1866 by John Meyers, later owned by J. R.
Holland, D. C. Summers and now by J. M.
Phillips, still fully functional. Stinnett's mill
(1874) and Col. T. J. Jones home (1869) and
mill runs remain but marker for Davis mill
(1864) faces Highway 81, about one-half mile
from its site, all between Belton and Salado.
Charter Oak, near Brazos River Authority
power plant, where Bell County Charter
signed in 1850. Mary Hardin-Baylor College
founded in 1845, moved to Belton 1884. Capt.
A. J. Walker home, built in 1870, still in use.
George McWhirter home, later home of Maj.
Gen. Walton H. Walker. At Three Forks, east
of Belton, is John Wallace farm, home of
Gov. Miriam A. (Ma) Ferguson. Old Opera
House still in use as church in Belton.
BEXAR: The *Alamo, Cradle of Texas
Liberty and other mission structures at San
Antonio constitute one of the most remarkable
historic building groups in America. On the
Alamo plaza is a museum with relics of the
Battle of the Alamo and other events of the
Revolution and Republic of Texas. The Ceno-
taph stands near the Alamo, a monument
erected by the Texas Centennial Commission
of 1936; on the sides are inscribed the names
of those who fell in the battle. San Antonio de
Valero Mission was established May 1, 1718,
secularized 1793. In 1803 soldiers from Pueblo
de San Jose y Santiago del Alamo were quar-
tered in mission building from which it pos-
sibly acquired the name. Present Alamo was
not erected until about 1744 and was not a
mission building but a chapel attached to San
Antonio de Valero Mission and San Antonio de
Bexar Presidio. In 1720 Mission San Jose de
Aguayo was established. (Also known as San
Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo Mission.) Next
to the Alamo, the old mission buildings of
San Jose, Concepcion, San Juan Capistrano
and Espada are possibly the most interesting
structures in the state. Architecturally, San
Jose is the most interesting and is a national Histori
historic site and Texas state park. The San Texas", i
Jose "Rose Window" is widely known for its at this ch
uty. Principal buildings have been
d as they were built originally,
hand-operated water grist mill,
ers of the Indians and granary.
San Jose Mission is the Texas
rical (outdoor) Theater. San Fer-
edral, 1738, is of scarcely less his-
cance; likewise, the Royal Gov-
ace (completed 1749), which is
ined as museum. Mission Nuestra
a Purisima Concepcion de Acuna
o was purchased by the state in 1883.
pel building was acquired at the time.
it was not until 1905 that the state ac-
joining ruins of the old barracks where
art of the Battle of the Alamo was
32 additional land was bought by the
state park was established surrounding
he last two purchases were made large-
Sefforts of the Daughters of the Repub-
and Mrs. Clara Driscoll who, as a
began her fight to save the Alamo
-Kiloatrick Studio, Devine.
c Castroville, "Little Alsace of
n Medina County, still worships
urch, one of many landmarks.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1964-1965, book, 1963; Dallas, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth113807/m1/65/: accessed April 24, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.