Texas Almanac, 1964-1965 Page: 64
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
was originally established in 1716 in East
Texas as Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Con-
cepcion de los Hasinai. Renamed and moved
to San Antonio in 1731, secularized July 31,
1794. Buildings in good repair. (See Nacog-
doches County.) San Juan Capistrano Mission,
formerly East Texas Mission of San Jose de
los Nazonis, renamed 1731 when moved to San
Antonio. Secularized July 14, 1794. San Fran-
cisco de la Espada Mission, established as
San Francisco de los TeJas in 1690 in Houston
County, was re-established 1721 in Cherokee
County as San Francisco de los Neches.
Name changed and moved to San Antonio
March 5, 1731, as San Francisco de la Es-
pada. (Nearby Aqueduct, Acequias and Es-
pada Dam.) Secularized, 1794, San Francisco
Xavier de Naxara Mission established March
12, 1722, one league south of San Antonio de
Valero with which it merged in 1726. Lands
regranted to Nuestra Senora de la Purisima
Concepcion de Acuna in 1731. La Villita (the
"Little Town"), South Presa and Villita
Streets, has been reconstructed and restored
to preserve indigenous Mexican architecture
and re-create the old way of life in a little
community devoted to the culture, arts and
crafts of Spanish Texas. In this area are the
Cos house, home of Gen Martin P. de Cos; an
early Texas house, Casa Villita (headquarters
of the San Antonio Conservation Society);
and one of the first two-story houses in San
Antonio now housing the "Old San Antonio
Exhibit"" Little Church of La Villita, built
1876 by 6erman Methodists, now non-denomi-
national. A memorial statue of Moses Austin
stands in the city hall grounds. A statue to
Ben Milam was erected here by the Centen-
nial Control Commission, 1936. The Texas Pi-
oneers-Trail Drivers-Rangers Memorial Build-
ing also was erected then. On the San Antonio
Public Library grounds is The Pajalache Ace-
quia (Ditch), constructed early in the 18th
century by the Pajalache Indians as part of
their irrigation system, which began at La
Villita and ended at Concepcion Mission.
Padres and Indians traveled in canoes be-
tween the two places. Three miles east San
Antonio is marked site of camp of Stephen F.
Austin Oct. 20-26, 1835. Six miles north is site
of Battle of Salado, decisive in Texas history,
Sept. 18, 1842. Near San Antonio is site of
Dawson Massacre, Sept. 18, 1842, when Nich-
olas Mosby Dawson's men were attempting to
join forces with Mathew Caldwell's men after
Battle of Salado. Only three escaped. Four
miles southwest of San Antonio is marker at
site where Moses Lapham, veteran of San
Jacinto, and three companions killed by In-
dians. The marble marker further states that
seven San Antonio men who went out the next
day to avenge them also were killed by the
Indians. Witte Museum has extensive collec-
tions. Some interesting old homes in this area
ara the Francisco Ruiz' home, Celco Navarro
home, Twohig house built in 1841 and pioneer
log cabin, furnished with pioneer furniture be-
hind Witte Museum. Argyle house, built about
1850, extensively restored; Denman house,
built about 1850, extensively restored; Sol y
Sombra in 1955 was partly restored; Menger
Hotel, about 1859, restored;..O. Henry (Sidney
Porter) house, about 1850 (now on the
grounds of Lone Star Brewery); St. Mark's
Episcopal Church, about 1850; Steves home-
stead-"River House"; Uhi house, 1841, re-
stored. German-English school, 1858. Site of
Judge Devine house, built 1850, where
there are live oak trees 300 to 400 years
old still standing. Eagar house; Guilbeau
house (Slave Quarters), 1847; Navarro house,
1850s; Poinsard house at Ursuline Academy,
1839; Uhl Store about 1850; Old Spanish mill,
1824; Ursuline Academy, about 1851; Manuel
Yturri homestead; Casa Vieja, about 1850.
At Somerset, site of Cowan house, about 1850.
Two miles south of Somerset is Old Somerset,
more than century old. Old Rock Church built
in 1853. Cemetery adjoins. Vicinity of Battle
of Rosalis, 3.5 miles south of San Antonio, is
marked. Here, March 28, 1813, the Republican
Army of the North defeated the Spanish Roy-
alist troops and June 17 were victorious at
Alazan Creek. Near Losoya was fought the
Battle of Medina, Aug. 18, 1813, the Spanish
Royalists defeating Republican Army of the
North, ending revolt of the insurgents against
Spanish rule. Camp Blake, on the San Pedro
River, on the old military road between San
Antonio and El Paso, was established soon
after the Mexican War and named in honor of
Lieut. J. E. Blake, topographical engineer
who distinguished himself at Palo Alto May 8,
1846, and who was accidentally killed that
night. There is no trace of the fort. Old Span.
ish blockhouse established by Spaniards, old
powder house are all that remain of the fort.
Fort Sam Houston is at San Antonio. Present
old fort, around the famous quadrangle, was
constructed 1876-79 and occupied by U.S.
Army forces, though the Government Hill site
had previously been used for military pur.
BLANCO: Old Blanco County Courthouse
has been used as hospital, school, bank,
movie theater, skating rink; built 1855; seat
moved to Johnson City from Blanco 1889.
Near intersection of Highways 66 and 20 is
concrete marker on site of last Comanche war
dance in 1875. Three and a half miles south-
east of Johnson City on Highway 20 is site of
Deer Creek Fight in August, 1873. Just off
Highway 20 in Johnson City is site of Johnson
home where wounded in Deer Creek Fight
taken; built in 1860s.
BOSQUE: At Clifton is Clifton Museum; at
Norse is Norse Church, built in late 1880s.
Kimball settled 1854, claimed to be first or-
ganized settlement in Bosque County, is fish-
ing and tourist community today. Clifton is
site of early Norwegian settlement.
BOWIE: Statue of James Bowie, killed at
the Alamo, is at Texarkana. Bowie County is
the location of many homes and other land-
marks. Near Hooks was community of Myrtle
Springs. Warren Hooks home built in 1858.
Near New Boston are Indian kitchen middens,
Four miles south of Corley is marked site of
Epperson's Ferry. Eight miles south of Bas-
sett is site of Stephenson's Ferry, established
1838 and used until 1910. Near Boston is site
of Texas home of Richard Ellis, president of
Constitutional Convention. He was buried here
but his and his wife's remains were moved to
State Cemetery at Austin. Near New Bos-
ton is site of home of Hardin R. Runnels,
built 1853; he died here and was buried near-
by; remains later removed to State Cemetery
at Austin. De Soto campsite, 1542, at Texar-
kana. In southwest part of county is Dolley
Springs, site of prominent spa in latter half
of 19th century. Springs are sill visited regu-
larly and a park has been developed around
BRAZORIA: Twelve miles north of West
Columbia is the site of Orozimbo, home of
Dr. James Aeneas Phelps, one of Austin's
300 colonists, hospital surgeon for General
Houston's army at San Jacinto. Santa Anna
was kept a prisoner here from July to No-
vember, 1836. Old town of Columbia was capi-
tal of Republic of Texas for a short while.
Here stands Congress (or Independence) Oak,
FIRST NATIONAL BANK IN DALLAS
Member Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Give us an opportunity to say YES! )s
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1964-1965, book, 1963; Dallas, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth113807/m1/66/: accessed April 23, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.