Texas Almanac, 1964-1965 Page: 72
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Presbyterian Church in Falls County estab-
lished Nov. 12, 1853, in old Carolina Com-
munity between Crossroads and Durango. Old
cemetery is all that remains today on orig-
inal site. Six miles north of Marlin on State
Highway 6 is site of Indian battlefield where
Indians under Chief Jose Maria defeated col-
onists Jan. 10, 1839. Near Marlin is site of
home of John Marlin, built in 1835, attacked
by Indians Jan. 10, 1839. Six miles north of
Marlin is site of home of George Morgan,
where family killed by Indians Jan. 1, 1839.
FANNIN: Fort Inglish, built by Bailey
Inglish in 1836 for protection of his family
and neighbors against Indians; demolished in
1962. At Bonham stands the statue of James
Butler Bonham. Fort Warren was established
as a private fort in 1836. Abandoned in 1837.
No trace today. First Methodist Church of
Bonham founded 1844 by Rev. James Graham.
Original church located on site now occupied
by First Baptist Church. Alexander Hotel
was built in 1889. First Christian Church or-
ganized May 31, 1868, by Elder Charles Carl-
ton; present structure erected 1912. Sam
Rayburn Library erected in 1956 to preserve
official records of Rayburn; Rayburn home
located one mile west of Bonham on High-
FAYETTE: At La Grange is shaft honor-
ing the Mier Expedition and Capt. Nicholas
Dawson's men. The bones of these men are
buried in a tomb in Monument Hill State Park
across the river from La Grange. Also at La
Grange is the tree under which Capt. Nicholas
Dawson recruited his ill-fated expedition. Site
of Moore's Fort is marked, also the site of
home of Col. John H. Moore, built in 1848
about seven miles northeast of La Grange.
There is a marker on the site of Rutersville
College, one-half mile southeast of Rutersville.
The first institution of higher education in
Texas, it was planned in 1837 by Martin
Ruter, chartered in 1840 as a Methodist
school. Marker at La Grange commemorates
first U.S. postal rural mail route in Texas;
authorized Aug. 1, 1899. At Hostyn, oldest
Czech settlement in Texas, is Shrine, Chapel
and Grotto of Lourdes. Monument to Father
Miguel Muldoon, "forgotten man" of Austin's
colony, located south of La Grange. At Round
Top is Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran
Church, built in 1850. At Round Top is old
Kneip house, built about 1850. Marker at site
of Wood's Fort, used as protection against
Indian attacks, 1828-1842. Near La Grange
marker at site of Burnam's Ferry; estab-
lished 1824 at crossing of Columbus-Bexar
Road; destroyed by order of Gen. Sam Hous-
ton to prevent use by Mexican Army, March
19, 1836. In City Hall Square at Fayetteville
is monument to pioneers who resided in Fay-
ette County. Also a marker on site of old town
of Fayetteville, stage station on old San Felipe
Trail. One mile southeast of Warrenton on
Highway 72 is site of Joel W. Robison home.
Old Union Church, built in 1848, was first in
La Grange; sold to Negro church congrega-
tion and removed to colored section of town.
Remains of Kreische brewery, built in 1860,
still stand in La Grange; old Kreische resi-
dence still occupied; located on bluff over-
looking La Grange. N. W. Faison home, built
prior to 1866 and now owned by La Grange
Garden Club, and old Masonic Building, built
in 1860 and now owned by John Schroeder and
Mrs. Frank William, marked with historical
medallion by Texas State Historical Survey
Committee in 1962.
FIS4ER: In Roby Cemetery, one mile
northeast of Roby, is monument to Capt.
Henry C. Lyons who served in Republic of
FOARD: Near Margaret is Pease River
Battlefield, where Cynthia Ann Parker was
recaptured from Indians Dec. 18, 1860. Two
miles northeast of Margaret is site of old
town of Margaret; first known as Pease; re-
named for Margaret Wesley, first Anglo-
American child born in Hardeman County;
first county seat of Hardeman County, 1884-
FORT BEND: Near Richmond is site of
home of Mirabeau B. Lamar. Five miles west
of Rosenberg is site of home of Thomas Bar.
nett, signer of Texas Declaration of Inde-
pendence. Three miles northwest of Rich-
mond is site of Thompson's Ferry where part
of Mexican Army under Santa Anna crossed
Brazos Apr. 14, 1836. Five miles southwest of
Beasley is site of home of Elizabeth Powell,
built before March 21, 1831. This was the
most eastern advance of Urrea's army and
most southern advance of Santa Anna; here
Mexican army encamped after Battle of San
Jacinto. Statue of Mirabeau Buonaparte La-
mar, commander of cavalry at San Jacinto,
one of the Presidents of the Republic and
"Father of Education in Texas," stands at
Richmond. Deaf Smith Memorial Monument
erected in cemetery where are buried also
Mirabeau B. Lamar and Mrs. Jane Long.
Fort Bend, military post of Austin's Colony,
established 1821; Richmond absorbed fort in
1838. Two miles northwest of Richmond is site
of home of Randal Jones where "Deaf" Smith
died Nov. 30, 1837. Two miles south of Rich-
mond is site of home of Mrs. Jane Wilkinson
Long, Pioneer of Anglo-American Women in
Texas. Other notable homes in Richmond vi-
cinity are: Robert Calder home; John Mc-
Nabb home on Jackson Street; Isaac McFar-
lane home on Jackson Street; Clem Bassett
home, now annex to courthouse, located
across street from courthouse; John M.
Moore home and D. R. Pearson home. Near
Stafford is Stafford cemetery containing ashes
of William Stafford and P. P. Borden. South-
west of cemetery is site of Gail Borden home,
gin and mill; mile east is site of well where
Santa Anna took lunch. At Sugar Land the
Ellis sugar plantation and mill was forerunner
of Imperial Sugar Co.; home still stands. The
first sugar refinery in Texas located on S. M.
Williams land. Site marked by Texas Society
Daughters of American Colonies in 1952.
FREESTONE: One mile east of Fairfield
is site of Fairfield Female College, opened
1859, chartered Feb. 8, 1860. On courthouse
lawn at Fairfield stands a Civil War cannon;
mate to this cannon is located at Mexia. Near
Kirvin is marked site of Woodland College for
Boys, established 1863, discontinued 1905.
FRIO: Old Frio County Courthouse at Frlo
Town established 1876. At Bigfoot is a monu-
ment to Big Foot Wallace. Seventeen miles
northwest Pearsall is Frio City. Three miles
southwest of Frio Town is site of Texas Rang-
er Camp maintained Dec. 1, 1876, to Apr. 1,
1877, by Capt. Neal Coldwell's Company, es-
cort to Maj. John B. Jones of Frontier Bat-
talion. Watermelon statue erected at Dilley,
known as watermelon center of the world.
Statue of peanut at Pearsall in honor of large
GAINES: Cedar Lake, also called Laguna
Sabinas, is largest alkali lake on Texas plains.
Quanah Parker, famous Indian chief, was
born in Gaines County. Site of numerous shal-
low natural water wells attracting buffalo
herds, Indian camps and serving as watering
places for U.S. Cavalry in pioneeer days.
GALVESTON: The island and city are
among Texas' most historic spots, having
been visited by Europeans over 400 years ago
and later harbored the pirates, Luis Aury and
Jean Lafitte. Unfortunately, the destructive
1900 storm and tidal wave destroyed many
landmarks. There are, however, many mark-
ers, remains of forts and homes of interest.
The Centennial Control Commission erected
the statue to Gen. Sidney Sherman, who com-
manded the second regiment of volunteers at
San Jacinto. The monument to Texas heroes,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1964-1965, book, 1963; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth113807/m1/74/: accessed February 19, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.