Texas Almanac, 1964-1965 Page: 79
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
LANDMARKS OF TEXAS 79
JONES: Statue of Anson Jones, last Presi-
dent of the Republic of Texas, stands on
courthouse grounds at Anson, seat of Jones
County. Near Hawley, on Clear Fork of Brazos
River and not far from Abilene, is site of
Fort Phantom Hill, established Nov. 14, 1851,
and abandoned in 1854 on account of failure of
water supply, but reoccupied for several short
periods thereafter. Abandoned finally by the
United States Army in 1873 but occupied by
Texas Rangers until 1890. Near Nugent is site
of Indian burial mound. Pioneer Hall home
of annual Cowboys' Christmas Ball. Largest
outdoor marker located at intersection of
Highways 277 and 380 north of Stamford on
old Mackenzie Trail where Indian fighters
drove Indians back into Oklahoma, ending In-
dian power in Texas.
KARNES: Panna Maria is oldest Polish
settlement in Texas, established in 1854 by
Rev. Leopold Moczygemba. Helena was once
known as "toughest place on earth." Old
courthouse still standing. Gowalik home built
in 1858, first permanent home of Panna Ma-
ria, Moczygemba, Urbanczyh and Whetstone
homes interesting. At Cestohowa is old Pawel-
ek house, built in 1865.
KAUFMAN: Kings Fort established as pri-
vate fort in 1840. Traces left. Old William E,
Henderson home, Meadow View, still occu-
pied. College Mound Methodist Church, Ter-
rell, organized 1845, in log church; 1865 re-
placed by frame building; 1897 present struc-
ture built. Marker erected commemorating
founding of Texas Agricultural Extension
Service on the Porter Farm in'Terrell in 1903.
Historical medallions awarded Robert Terrell
and L. E. Griffith homes in Terrell.
KENDALL: Headquarters of Gen. Robert
E. Lee at Boerne still preserved. Camp Alsa-
far was on bank of Guadalupe near Boerne.
Site of Post Oak Spring Branch, home of
George Wilkins Kendall, is in Kendall County.
At Comfort is monument to Union soldiers
erected in memory of group of German sol-
diers who remained true to the Union Army
during Civil War calling themselves Loyal
Union League; battle fought Aug. 10, 1862, on
banks of Nueces River and 20 killed, nine
captured by Confederates; rest escaped to
Mexico. In Comfort is site of Faltin house,
built about 1850, and Rice home. Old Kendall
Inn in Boerne. Near Boerne are Cascade Cav-
erns and Cave Without a Name, two outstand-
ing caverns. Indian paintings on bluff at
KENEDY: Seven and one-half miles south
of Sarita is tree under which Gen. Zachary
Taylor camped March 15, 1846, while en route
with troops from Corpus Christi to Rio
KERR: Camp Verde, on Verde Creek,
eight miles west of Center Point in Kerr
County, established July 8, 1855, was the
starting point of the Army camel route, which
had its western terminus at Fort Yuma, Calif.
Established by Capt. I. N. Palmer, Second
United States Cavalry. Taken over by Confed-
erates in 1861. Regarrisoned by Federals in
1865. Abandoned Apr. 1, 1869. Camp Ives es-
tablished Oct. 2, 1859, by Co. I, 2d U.S. Cav-
alry under Lt. Wesley Owens as subpost of
Camp Verde. Temporarily abandoned March
13, 1860; reoccupied Oct. 20, 1860, until Jan.
28, 1861, when permanently abandoned. No
trace. There were two Camp Verdes in Kerr
County. One was established March 31, 1862,
as Frontier Regiment station and abandoned
in 1864 with consolidation of regiment at Fort
Belknap. Near Center Point is site of Ganahl
house, built about 1850. Bandera Pass located
on Bandera Highway, 12 miles south of Kerr-
ville; noted gap in chain of mountains be-
tween Kerrville and Bandera through which
passed camel caravans, wagon trains, Span-
sh conquistadores, immigrant trains, U.S.
troops and Texas Rangers.
KIMBLE: Near Roosevelt is site of Fort
Terrett, established Feb. 5, 1852, by the
United States Army. Abandoned Feb. 26, 1854
KINNEY: Fort Clark, Brackettville. Es-
tablished June 19, 1852, and originally called
Fort Riley. Shortly after its establishment it
was named Fort Clark. Abandoned in 1861;
reoccupied in 1866. Sold in 1946 to a private
company and operated as a dude ranch.
KLEBERG:King Ranch founded by Capt.
Richard King in 1853; known for developing
Santa Gertrudis breed of beef cattle, first
developed in Western Hemisphere; one of
Texas' largest ranches.
LAMAR: George Wright home in Paris,
built in 1876, restored in 1946 by Mr. and Mrs.
R. M. Graves, present owners. On F-M Road
195 on Red River is plantation home built by
George Wright in 1839, sold to his brother,
Travis Wright. Known as Wright's Landing.
At Paris is a miniature of the Mirabeau B.
Lamar home. Five-tenths mile west of Arthur
City is site of Fulton's Trading Post; estab-
lished about 1833 at point known as Fulton's
Crossing. Six miles south of Paris, State High-
way 24, is site of Mount Vernon, second coun-
ty seat of Lamar County; court held June,
1843-April, 1844, when Paris made county
seat. Seventeen miles northeast Powderly is
site of first Anglo-American settlement in
Lamar County. Three miles northeast Paris is
site of Lafayette, first county seat of Lamar
LAMB: Five miles south of Earth is Sod
House Springs, monument commemorating es-
tablishment first cow camp in Panhandle.
Five miles west of Earth, on U.S. Highway 70,
is Spring Lake Indian Camp and watering
place; later headquarters for largest division
XIT Ranch. In Littlefield is marker in mem-
ory of George W. Littlefield, founder and de-
veloper of Yellow House Ranch and city of
LAMPASAS: Star Hotel or Gracey Hotel,
now Keystone Hotel, was built in 1856, still in
service. Hancock Springs, near Lampasas,
spa to which Indians brought aged and in-
jured; stone structure and spring still in use.
Huling Stone Mansion, built 1855, still stand-
ing. Donavon Mill, two miles east of Lampas-
as, was built 1880; now partly destroyed.
LA SALLE: Fort Ewel was on the Nueces
River 25 miles southeast of Cotulla, estab-
lished May 18, 1852. Abandoned Oct. 3, 1854;
reoccupied in 1859 and again abandoned same
year. State of Texas placed granite marker at
site of old fort located on Henderson Coquat
Estate; only remains of old log fort left. Near
Cotulla on U.S. Highway 81 bridge is marker
on site of disputed southwestern boundary
of Texas-Nueces River. Treaty of Guadalupe
Hidalgo, 1848, changed boundary to Rio
LAVACA: Petersburg was first county
seat, four miles southwest of Hallettsville. In
Memorial Park is marker in honor of Halletts-
ville, founded 1838, county seat of Lavaca
County since 1852; former settler, Margaret
Hallet and Lavaca County men at Alamo, Go-
liad and San Jacinto. In Yoakum, U.S. High-
way 77, is marker to memory of trail drivers
of Southwest Texas, 1867-1887. One mile
north of Moulton on State Highway 95 is site
of camp of Texas Army, March 15, 1836, of
Gen. Sam Houston while retreating from Gon-
zales to Brazos River. M. 1. Bozka home was
built in 1879.
LEE: Six miles south of Giddings was
Serbin, founded by Wends in 1854. A Giddings
newspaper, the Star, has the only type in the
U.S. to set copy in the Wendish language.
Wendish descendants also live at Copperas
Cove and Vernon.
LEON: At Normangee stands monument
to El Camino Real (the King's Highway, or
Old San Antonio Road), which was blazed in
1691 by Capt. Don Domingo Teran de los Rios,
first provincial Governor of Texas. Fort
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1964-1965, book, 1963; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth113807/m1/81/: accessed December 11, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.