Texas Almanac, 1952-1953 Page: 19
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS AND ASSOCIATED ENTERPRISES. 19
and succeeded to the presidency upon the
death of C. Lombardi in 1919, having
been de facto chief executive through most
of the period following Colonel Belo's death.
He served as president of the company
until 1940 when he became chairman of the
board, turning the presidency over to his
son, E. M. (Ted) Dealey, and, on his death
in 1946, he was succeeded as chairman of the
board by his widow, Mrs. G. B. Dealey.
In 1923 A. H. Belo & Company, as it was
then named, sold The Galveston News to
W. L. Moody of Galveston, and moved its
corporate headquarters to Dallas. In 1926,
Mr. Dealey acquired the controlling interest
in the new A. H. Belo Corporation.
G. B. Dealey was eighty-six years old at
the time of his death and had been in
continuous service of The News for a little
more than seventy-one years. His career,
from office boy to chief executive, and the
accompanying progress of the institution
which he headed, constitute one of the great
careers of achievement in the history of
Like the two men who had gone before
him, Mr. Dealey believed in the greatness of
the future of Texas and in the need of the.
kind of leadership that a newspaper could
give. He recognized it as a leadership of
responsibility, requiring thoroughness, fair-
ness and integrity in news and editorial
Engraved on the front of the new home
of The Dallas News Is the following quota-
tion from him:
"Build The News upon the rock of truth
and righteousness. Conduct it always upon
the lines of fairness and integrity. Acknowl-
edge the right of the people to get from the
newspaper both sides of every important
These words, in slightly varying form,
were spoken by Mr. Dealey a number of
times on public occasions. So far as the
record shows, he first spoke them in 1906
before a gathering of Dallas News employees,
celebrating the twenty-first anniversary of
the establishment of The News. It was on
this occasion that a room was set aside for
a liLrary, the beginning of the present
library of The News, one of the noteworthy
newspaper libraries in the country.
New Home of The News.
The new building, the front of which was
chosen for the perpetuation of these words,
marked another milepost in the history of
The News. After residing more than sixty-
three years, with expandin plant, on the
site at which The Dallas News was estab-
lished in 1885, it moved In March, 1949, to its
magnificent new home on Young between
Houston and Record Streets.
The new structure was erected at a cost of
slightly less than six million dollars, Includ-
ing machinery and equipment. The building
is laid out according to the latest engineering
design for newspaper production, permitting
continuous processing from the news, edi-
torial and advertising departments through
the printing, stereotyping, press and mailing
Possibly public interest and imagination
are more stirred by the giant sixteen-unit
Hoe color-convertible press than by anything
else. Weighing a million and a quarter
pounds, it stands on a floating base at the
lowest basement level and rises, in a room
of cathedral-like dimensions, to the elevation
of the third floor above the basement. It is
145 feet long. Motors totaling 800 horsepower
drive the press with the precision of a Swiss
watch through a delicate electronic control
system. At ordinary operating speed it can
print 160,000 32-page sections an hour.
Throughout the building the most modern
and serviceable machinery and equipment
have been installed for the convenience and
efficiency of its 1,100 employees. In every de-
partment ample space is left for future ex-
pansion. "Build it for fifty years to come,"
said Mr. Dealey, "keeping in mind what the
next fifty years will bring to Texas and to
The plant is open to the public; guides
make the rounds of the building several
While the main line of institutional devel-
opment has been through The Galveston
News and The Dallas Morning News, there
have been a number of associated enterprises
-the Texas Almanac, The Semi-Weekly Farm
News, The Dallas Journal, and Radio Sta-
tions WFAA, 570 and 820, and Radio Station
Willard Richardson wanted other people to
come to Texas with the same faith in its
future that had caused him to come. He
often wrote of the greatness of Texas' unde-
veloped resources and of the limitless oppor-
tunity they presented for those of the East
who were willing to join in the westward
march of that day.
So in 1857 the first Texas Almanac was
issued. A much smaller book than the Texas
Almanac of today, it was, nevertheless, quite
similar in character of content and purpose.
It was issued annually, 1857-1873, inclusive,
except 1866, though the issues of the war
years were mere pamphlets.
With Richardson's retirement from active
control of the company, followed shortly by
his death in 1875, publication of the Texas
Almanac was discontinued, and it was not
issued again until after the death of Colonel
Belo when Mr. Dealey became general man-
ager, and de facto head of the company..
The older Texas Almanac had been dis-
tributed largely in other states and even in
Europe. Mr. Dealey believed that it had a
place in the modern economic and civic
development of the state. It was revived in
1904 as the Texas Almanac and State Indus-
trial Guide, and, after several cessations.
was re-established as a permanent publication
Semi-Weekly Farm News-Dallas Journal.
In 1865 a daily edition was added to serve
the rapidly growing population of Texas.
The Weekly News was continued in Galveston
and later in Dallas, the name later being
changed to The Semi-Weekly Farm News. In
1923, with the sale of The Galveston News,
the Galveston edition of The Semi-Weekly
Farm News was merged with the Dallas edi-
tion, and it was continued until Dec. 31, 1940,
when it was merged with The Dallas Morning
News because executives of the company con-
sidered that changing economic conditions and
needs made unnecessary further publication
of a semi-weekly edition.
The Dallas Journal was established as an
evening paper, April 1, 1914. It was continued
until 1938 when it was sold and consolidated
with another afternoon newspaper.
Radio Stations WFAA and WFAA-TV.
The management of The Dallas Morning
News was among the first to recognize the
importance of the new medium that came
with the development of radio. It was largely
through the forevision of the late Walter A.
Dealey, then vice-president, and eldest son
of G. B. Dealey, that the company entered
this field. Station WFAA, owned and oper-
ated by The News, began broadcasting in
June, 1922, with only 150 watts power, which
was later raised successively to 500, to 5.000
and, in 1930, to 50,000 watts. Station WFAA
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1952-1953, book, 1951; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117137/m1/21/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.