The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 30, July 1926 - April, 1927 Page: 282
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
joying the reputation of the 3d. However under the direction
of Colo Purdy and afterwards under Major Gilran that part of
it stationed usually in the Neighborhood of Orleans became dis-
tinguished for its appearance and acquaintance with duty. Its
officers and soldiers were most from the Western States which
certainly grows as fine a race of men as any section of the globe.
The 39th Regt. of Iy had greatly distinguished itself in Gen-
eral Jackson's last action with the Creeks. At that time the
ability of its Colo and Lt Colo had made it a very respectable
'corps but the short enlistments made of its first recruits and the
unhealthy situation, Mount Vernon, assigned it in the spring of
1814 came so near completing its dissolution that it made no
great figure afterwards.
The 44th ly had just been organized. The officers were prin-
cipally from Louisiana. At the time genl Jackson assumed com-
mand it had not more than 200 men one half of which had been
recruited in Tennessee.21
Five Artillery companies mostly incomplete composed the Bal-
ance of the Regular force then in the Dist. They were all of the
old army and well versed in duty.
2Baker and Dupuy had enlisted a part of the 44th Infantry in Ten-
nessee and had marched their men half the width of Tennessee and the
length of Alabama.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 30, July 1926 - April, 1927, periodical, 1926; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117142/m1/308/?rotate=270: accessed December 13, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.