The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 30, July 1926 - April, 1927 Page: 62
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
division numerically weaker than Fannin's forces, to the Arroyo
de las Ratas, twenty-five miles nearer to Goliad than was Urrea's
base at San Patricio. Fannin then had about four hundred and
fifty splendidly armed men, well disciplined and drilled for a
Texan volunteer army, brave, spirited, and eager for action. They
were wholly unsuited for garrison duty, and must be used aggres-
sively if to be used at all with any hope of success. Fannin and
Cuellar both knew that the Alamo would soon fall, and release
a portion of Santa Anna's army at Bexar to act with Urrea against
Fannin. It was imperative that Fannin should at once either
retreat behind the Guadalupe, which he considered that his orders
from the Provisional Government forbade his doing, or else beat
Urrea before the latter could be reinforced by Santa, Anna.
Cuellar's Indian-like cleverness delivered Urrea into his hand,
and offered him his opportunity to fight with every a- .; . e
of position, numbers, initiative, arms, morale and personnel.
It is small wonder that when his irresolute commander failed
to press home such an advantage the astute Cuellar quietly faded
from the pages of Texan history.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 30, July 1926 - April, 1927, periodical, 1926; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117142/m1/70/: accessed April 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.