The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935 Page: 138
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
westward to the post on the Las Moras,1o and then eastward to
Fort Inge.11 From there Smith again struck out westward to the
Rio Grande, inspecting the posts at Eagle Pass, Laredo,12 and Fort
Ewell.13 The six weeks' tour of hard and rapid riding, with pack
mules, was through a "perfect wilderness." Except at the gar-
risons, the men did not see a house on the entire route until they
While General Smith was inspecting the southwestern posts,
Lieutenant Duff Green of the Third Infantry, commander of a
portion of the United States-Mexican Boundary Survey Commis-
sion"1 operating along the Rio Grande, examined the country be-
tween San Elizariol6 and Fort Duncan. Green's journal of the
march, extending over a period of more than five months, described
in detail the character of the country, the inhabitants, and feasible
sites for military posts. Green left San Elizario on June 11, 1852.
His march was fairly continuous until he arrived at the point where
the San Antonio road left the Rio Grande. Here Major William
H. Emory of the Topographical Engineers17 established a perma-
1This post was originally known as Fort Riley, its name being changed
to Fort Clark on July 16, 1852, in honor of Major John B. Clark, First
Infantry, who died in 1847. Sen. Ex. Does., 36 Cong., 1 Sess., No. 52,
pp. 185-186; Freeman MS., O.R.S., A.G.O.
1Bureau of American Ethnology, 17th Annual Report, I, 387-388; F. L.
Olmsted, A Journey Through Texas (New York, 1859), 285-286.
1Fort Duncan was situated at Eagle Pass, and Fort McIntosh was
located about three quarters of a mile above Laredo. Sen. Ex. Does., 36
Cong., 1 Sess., No. 52, pp. 179-181; Olmsted, opus cit., 314; John S.
Billings, Report on Barracks and Hospitals with Descriptions of Military
Posts (Washington, 1870), 215, 217.
"Freeman MS., O.R.S., A.G.O.
"McClellan to his sister, Maria, October 9, 1852, McClellan Letters, 1V,
MS. Division, Library of Congress.
"To ascertain and mark the international boundary line as laid down
in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and (adsden Purchase Treaty, United
States and Mexican boundary commissioners conducted surveys, with
various interruptions, between 1849 and 1855.
"Located some twenty miles southeast of El Paso on the east bank of
the Rio Grande, this settlement was a typical Mexican village; the drab
appearance of its adobe houses was relieved only by the green luxuriance
of its fruit trees; peaches, pears, apricots, and plums grew in endless
profusion; its 1,500 Mexican inhabitants were frugal and peaceable.
Whiting to Totten, September 8, 1849. MS., Letter Received, Chief of
Engineers, Old Records Section, Office of Engineers, Washington. (Here-
after cited as MS., L.R., C.E., O.R.S., O.C.E.)
"Emory had served as chief astronomer on the Pacific coast under
United States Boundary Commissioners John B. Weller and John R.
Bartlett. In the fall of 1851 he was transferred to operate along the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935, periodical, 1935; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117143/m1/152/: accessed September 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.