The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935 Page: 32
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
cellar cut from solid rock beneath the main portion. The field
officers had one-story stone buildings with two L's. They con-
tained four rooms and a pantry for each field officer. The main
portion of this double set was 77 x 18 feet with a veranda running
the whole length of the front. Each of the two L's were 45 x 18
feet. There were four captains' quarters of stone one-story high
and 36 x 15 feet, containing two rooms with an L or wing 15 x 16
feet. The veranda extended the length of the building. One of
these quarters had a kitchen 15 x 12 feet. Most of the buildings
were poorly constructed and the fireplaces were especially bad and
small. However, the quartermaster had one stove for each build-
ing. In the rear of the line of Captain's quarters was a frame
building 40 x 20 feet, one-story in height, with three rooms as a
set of quarters for a married Lieutenant. There was a stone
building 98 x 15 feet one-story in height, with a. wing at each end
and a veranda in front of the whole length, which contained eight
rooms for the use of four Lieutenants, two of whom were married.
The fireplaces in these quarters were somewhat better. Then there
was another officers' quarters of stone 61 x 15 feet with a wing
at each end. One wing was 21 x 15 feet and the other 15 x 19.
This building contained five rooms, and they were occupied by one
married and one bachelor Lieutenant. There was another one-
story building 53 x 14 feet with an L in the rear 23 x 15 feet
and a shed roof in the front. It contained four rooms with
large fireplaces and was occupied by a Captain and a Lieutenant.
The post surgeon and one Lieutenant had a one-story stone
building 48 x 15 feet, with an L 31 x 15 feet comprising four
rooms. Another stone house was 36 x 15 feet with an L 31 x 15
feet and had four rooms for one Captain. Another building,
slightly larger, contained five rooms for one married and one
single Lieutenant. All the officers' quarters were on the south
side of the parade ground, and the ceilings were of canvas. The
headquarters building was of stone 56 x 42 feet and raised about
two feet from the ground, and was on the eastern side of the
parade. This building had six rooms containing a commanding
officer's, adjutant's, sergeant major's and clerk's office, with a post
schoolroom, court-martial room, and library.
The commissary's storehouse was also of stone and 1 20 x 120
feet and it was raised four feet from the ground. It had a wing
60 x 30 feet. The quartermaster's storehouse was also of stone
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935, periodical, 1935; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117143/m1/40/: accessed September 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.