The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935 Page: 33
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Fort McKavett, Texas
and 140 x 23 feet. There was a building used for storing paints
and tools 90 x 20 feet and besides a carpenter, wheelwright, sad-
dler and blacksmith's shop in a stone building 90 x 20 feet on the
western side of the post. The storehouse for forage was 18 x 22
feet next to the guard house. A stone house 21 x 18 feet in the
rear of the commanding officer's quarters was occupied by the
sergeant-major. There was a guard house 60 x 22 feet, and as
there were usually about 30 prisoners in it, it was very crowded.
The new hospital which is now occupied by a wealthy rancher
was originally a 24-bed hospital. It was one story high with a
storeroom 18 x 15 feet and a dead house 14 x 14 feet. The north-
ern half of the hall ran north and south of the administration
building. There was one ward 50 x 24 feet. The building was
supposed to be the best in the post. There was a stone bakery
41 x 24 feet containing an oven room with two ovens each 15 x 8
feet and a bread room 20 feet square with a capacity of 750
rations of bread each.
There were two stables with two rows of stalls, each row 160 feet
long by 102 feet wide. The quartermaster's stables were in a
stable yard surrounded by a high stone wall. They consisted of
two rows of stalls separated by a high picket fence. Eacli row
with a partition between them being 124 x 11 feet, with a con-
The water from the spring was very hard and contained salts of
lime which produced thick encrustations on the inside of all the
boilers and kettles. The water, however, is refreshing and is
There were no drains at the post, but being on high ground
water did not remain in the vicinity. All sewage was removed
daily in barrels to a ravine 600 yards below the post. The barracks
had sinks 65 yards in the rear which were disinfected daily and
the troughs emptied in a ravine about half a mile away.
The post garden contained thirty acres, and good supplies of
watermelons, cantaloupes, tomatoes, squashes, pumpkins and sweet
potatoes were raised. The command was well supplied with good
food, and fresh beef was issued daily. The commissary bought
50 barrels of Irish potatoes during the year 1875 from Denison,
Texas, and sold them for 2- cents a pound although they retailed
locally at $9 a bushel. The sweet potatoes could be bought for
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 38, July 1934 - April, 1935, periodical, 1935; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117143/m1/41/: accessed May 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.