The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966 Page: 139
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
citizens, and the misconduct of the newly freed Negroes. Later
chapters give interesting descriptions of the gaiety during the
Christmas season of 1898, and the midsummer holiday activities
of the following August.
Unfortunately, the volume is marred by several errors. For
example, General John B. Hood of Hood's Texas Brigade appears
as General Thomas B. Hood (p. 19); John H. Reagan's well-
known Fort Warren letter is called the "Fort Wayne" letter (p.
26) ; the rigors of reconstruction did not begin to subside in 1867,
they grew worse (p. 23); and Richard Coke was elected governor
of Texas in 1873, not 1870 (p. 24) . Perhaps more important are
the errors of omission, such as a most superficial treatment of the
railroad in Palestine's history and no account of the influence of
economic growth upon the town's cultural pattern.
Avera has chosen to devote his study to the activities and homes
of the more affluent and cultured residents of Palestine. This he
has done with skill and grace, and the volume will be especially
welcomed by those interested in East Texas family history and
cultural traditions. It is the author's thesis that here was an
important cultural heritage which deserved preservation, but has
disappeared, has passed away, and left behind a "wind swept
land." ROBERT S. MAXWELL
Stephen F. Austin State College
A Happy Worldly Abode: Christ Church Cathedral, 1839-1964.
By Marguerite Johnston. Houston (Cathedral Press), 1964.
Pp. 280. Bibliography, illustrations, appendices. $12oo.
This elaborate and beautiful volume was published to celebrate
the one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary of the organization
of Houston's first congregation of the Episcopal Church. The
parish's present house of worship still occupies the same site as
did the first edifice which was constructed in the heart of the city
on the corner of Fannin Street and Texas Avenue. This is Christ
Church, presently the Cathedral of the Diocese of Texas.
A purchaser of this volume receives more than the narrative
Marguerite Johnston wrote. There are numerous illustrations
done by Fred DuBose, and a pictorial section which takes up the
last thirty-six pages and conducts one visually through the first
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966, periodical, 1966; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117144/m1/159/?rotate=270: accessed November 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.