The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966 Page: 145

This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Southwestern Historical Quarterly and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association.

View a full description of this periodical.

THE SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
VOL. LXIX OCTOBER, 1965 No. 2
1/olland Coffee of ed River
AUDY J. AND GLENNA MIDDLEBROOKS
A TIME APPROACHED FOR THE MEETING OF THE SECOND
Congress of the Republic of Texas, Dr. Daniel Rowlett,
a representative from Red River County, set out for the
capital at Houston with a petition in his saddle bags. That instru-
ment stated that the signers, most of whom lived between Bois
D'Arc Creek and Coffee's Station, were asking for the privilege
of forming a new county.
Soon after the opening of the session Dr. Rowlett and his fellow
representatives from Red River County, Edward H. Tarrant and
Collin McKinney, were named to a special committee to consider
the request of the petitioners. It is no surprise that the committee
reported favorably. That congress concurred is shown by the fact
that the only debate stirred by the bill, read first on October 31,
1837, was over a name for the new county. The sponsors sub-
mitted the name Independence; Patrick C. Jack of Brazoria re-
quested that their choice be struck from the measure and that
the name Fannin, in honor of James Walker Fannin, be used
instead. Over Dr. Rowlett's protest Jack's motion carried on the
third reading, and the proposed political unit, with President
Houston's endorsement, became a reality on December 14, 1837.
As its first representative the sparse population of Fannin Coun-
ty elected Holland Coffee, a merchant who, with Tennessean
Silas Colville, operated a trading post on Red River approxi-
mately eleven miles northwest of present day Denison, Texas.'
Detractors and romanticists of recent years have used strongly
contrasting colors in depicting the early Texas entrepreneur, and
apparently both groups have some justification.
'Rex W. Strickland, "History of Fannin County, Texas, 1836-1843," Southwestern
Historical Quarterly, XXXIII, 273, 274, 298.

Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

186 of 682
187 of 682
188 of 682
189 of 682

Show all pages in this issue.

This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Periodical.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966, periodical, 1966; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117144/m1/185/ocr/: accessed January 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.