The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966 Page: 64
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Six months later on January 30o, 1882, Mrs. Murrie sold her
certificate for $150 to Branch T. Masterson, who selected a plot
of 1,280 acres of land in Brazoria County and had it surveyed.
Then he forwarded to the land office the certificate which he had
purchased, along with the transfer, and the field notes of his
The law required that, before a patent could be issued, another
1,280 acre plot be set aside for the permanent school fund. Com-
missioner W. C. Walsh issued an order for the survey, which was
made in Val Verde County and filed as Bexar Scrip 51316. After
that the field notes of Masterson's survey were carefully checked
on the land office map to see that they did not conflict with a
prior survey, and finding no discrepancy, the land office issued
a patent for the land on February 11, 1886.
Random examination of twenty files to ascertain the results of
Texas' land grants to its disabled Confederate veterans and
widows revealed the following case histories:
Charles Woodson of Dallas County sold his Confederate Scrip
Certificate No. 360 to G. H. Smith and W. J. Gaston of Keokuk,
Iowa, on October to, 1881, for $400. That was the highest price
paid in the twenty cases examined.
Elizabeth Darden of Upshur County sold certificate No. 1990
to E. S. Gage of Dallas County for $200 on September 18, 1882.
J. M. Green of Bastrop County sold certificate No. 351 to
George Mitton for $75.
J. W. Reasoner of Lamar County sold certificate No. 1751 to
Alvin F. Sartwell of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, for $80.
Julia A. Prater of Madison County sold certificate No. 2041 on
January 1, 1883, to E. B. Seay of the same county for $70.
C. B. Gardiner received Confederate Scrip Certificate No. 1978
on August 16, 1882, and sold it the next day to E. S. Gage for $200.
John W. Daniel sold certificate No. 206o to E. M. Powell for
$95 on March 4, 1884.
William A. Bates sold certificate No. 2044 to E. B. Bidwell on
January lo, 1883, for $160.
Martha D. McBryde of Gonzales County sold certificate No.
336 on April 7, 1885, to Joseph Spencer for $125.
John W. Hill received certificate No. 2056 on December 16,
1882, and used it to make a survey in Hale County, Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966, periodical, 1966; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117144/m1/82/: accessed May 24, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.