The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968 Page: 316
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Lon Tinkle, erudite and urbane book critic of the Dallas News, who
has worked more assiduously than anyone else for the Institute, has
constantly supported Dobie's ideals.
It was in 1939 that the first book awards committee was established,
and in 1946 the first cash prize was given through the generosity of
Carr P. Collins, who offered an annual award of $1,ooo for the best
book by a Texas author or on a Texas subject, a gift secured through
the earnest efforts of Joseph M. Dawson. In 19g6o an award of $1,ooo
came from the Jesse H. Jones Foundation of Houston for the best
book of fiction by a Texas writer. The Institute now offers additional
cash awards for juveniles, poetry, history, periodical prose, the most
significant contribution to knowledge, and the best book design.
The Institute met annually at the Cokesbury book store in Dallas
until 196o, when it became the custom to alternate every other year
between Dallas and some other Texas city. In 196o the Institute also
took a courageous stand for freedom of thought, several prominent
members appeared before an investigation committee of the Texas
House of Representatives in defense of the right to think and express
Today the Institute numbers more than 13o members, including
such diversified ones as Paul Baker in drama, historians Robert C.
Cotner, Joe B. Frantz, Herbert Gambrell, Rupert Richardson, nov-
elists Fred Gipson and Larry McMurtry, and the director of the Uni-
versity of Texas Press, Frank Wardlow. Many more deserve mention,
and the account of their work is found in Professor Vann's well illus-
trated and handsomely printed history.
Baylor University E. HUDSON LONG
The Dead Men Wore Boots: An Account of the 32nd Texas Volunteer
Cavalry, CSA, 1862-1865. By Carl L. Duaine. Austin (San Felipe
Press), 1966. Pp. 126. Illustrations, index, maps, appendices. $1o.
Carl Duaine has filled another gap in the story of Confederate
Texas by describing for the first time the campaigns and camp life
of Colonel Peter C. Woods' cavalry regiment. Men from counties
around San Antonio raised ten mounted companies which were organ-
ized into a regiment in March, 1862. After three months in camp on
Salado Creek and two more near San Marcos, including some patrols
into the Unionist area around Fredericksburg, the regiment marched
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968, periodical, 1968; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117145/m1/348/ocr/: accessed September 29, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.