The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968 Page: 516
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
of the mission still serves as an active parish church. The rest of the
mission square has been administered since 1941 by the Texas State
Parks Board, now a part of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department."
In the same year, on May 8, Mission San Jose was formally dedi-
cated as a national historic site not federally owned, in accordance
with the Historic Sites Act passed by Congress on August 21, 1935."
After an absence of lo8 years, the Franciscans (of the St. Louis-
Chicago Province) returned to Mission San Jose in 1931, and built
a friary outside the mission square, on its northeastern corner. They
have the care of the mission church and of the parish of San Jose,
which uses the old church as well as a chapel in the new friary."
In August, 1967, at the invitation of Archbishop Robert E. Lucey,
the Franciscans of the same province have also accepted the care of
Mission San Francisco de Espada and Mission San Juan Capistrano.
Including Espada, they now have five friaries in southern San An-
tonio. The twenty-one friars residing in them have charge of five
churches and six chapels. Their work is not unlike that of the early
padres. The people whose spiritual and temporal welfare they seek to
promote include some whose forebears were residents, Indians or
Spaniards, at Mission San Jos6 and the other San Antonio missions.
S"J. Scurlock, Director, Park Interpretation, to M. A. H., July 17, 1967; E. B. Camiade,
"Development of the Texas State Park System," undated (mimeographed copy; Texas
Parks and Wildlife Commission, Austin); Barbara Jaska, "Why State Parks?" Texas Parks
& Wildlife, XXV (June, 1967), 7-11. Mission San Jos6 is now classified as a State His-
toric Site rather than a State Park.
7Chronicle and Archives of San Jos6 Friary (Mission San Jos6, San Antonio); U.S.,
Statutes at Large, XLIX (1935), 666.
"Marion A. Habig, "Modern Missions in Old San Antonio," Lesser Brothers, I, 4-16,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968, periodical, 1968; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117145/m1/582/: accessed January 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.