The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968 Page: 584
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
and other items he took should be returned to Nacogdoches.' This
early rebuff did not discourage Father Reyes, however; his continued
efforts among the coast tribes prompted Carlos Castafieda to note that
". .. Fathers Fray Jose Mariano Garza' and Fray Jos6 Mariano Reyes
had spent many years trying to persuade them [the Orcoquisacs]'
to live in a mission, but they found that these natives were interested
not in conversion but in gifts."' Nevertheless, in the course of his
missionary career, Father Reyes "lost his heart . . . to these simple
By 1788 the zealous Father Reyes had been returned to San An-
tonio and placed in charge of San Juan Capistrano Mission." In April,
1789, the superior and his counselors (the Discretorium) of the Col-
lege in Zacatecas, in response to the letters and reports coming from
the friars in Texas, wrote to Father Jose Rafael Oliva, the president
of the Texas missions, and instructed him to remove Father Reyes
from his post at once and have him give an account of all his trans-
actions and make known his debts."
'Libro Segundo de Decretos, fol. 86v to, 87f.
'Father Jose Francisco Mariano Garza (not to be confused with Father Jos6 Mariano
Garcia) was born in Linares, Mexico, studied at the Seminary of Guadalajara, and took
the habit of St. Francis in 1765. Jose Francisco Sotomayor, Historia del Apostolico Colegio
de Nuestra Seffora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas, desde su fundacion hasta nuestros dias
(2nd ed., 2 vols.; Zacatecas, 1889), II, 87-88, hereafter cited as Historia. He was a reli-
gious of "mucho talento, instruccion y virtud .. ." Ibid., 89. Bolton, Texas in the Middle
x8th Century, 421, wrote that he was "a man of more than ordinary ability."
Father Garza came to Texas in 1772 and ministered to the Orcoquisac Indians at
Mission Nuestra Sefiora del Rosario. He worked among the Aranamas (Jaranames) and
Karankawas, took an active part in founding the settlement of Bucareli, and later served
the Church at Nacogdoches. For a time he was president of the San Antonio missions,
taught theology at the College of Zacatecas, and served as a member of its council board
(the Discretorium). He died in Sonora, Mexico, on August 15, 1807. Sotomayor, Historia,
II, 89-91, 374-375; Castafieda, Our Catholic Heritage, V, 71.
'The Orcoquisac (Arkokisa) Indians lived on both sides of the lower Trinity River
before attempts were made to reduce them. Ibid., III, 4.
7Ibid., V, 99.
9Ibid., 130. The mission of San Juan Capistrano was established in San Antonio in
1731 together with the missions Concepci6n and San Francisco de la Espada. Originally
they had been founded in East Texas in 1716 by the friars from the College of Queretaro.
Ibid., II, 58-59, III, 2.
After 1770 the missions in Texas began to decline. In 1772 the College of Queretaro
gave to the College of Zacatecas all of their missions, including San Juan Capistrano,
because the Quertaran fathers were taking over the missions in Sonora. Sotomayor,
Historia, II, 221-222. In 1791 Mission San Juan Capistrano had only thirty-one persons.
Census of San Juan Capistrano, December 31, 1791, Bexar Archives. The property of
this mission was given to the Indians on July 14, 1794; the decree for secularizing the
missions was issued on April 1o, 1794. Castafieda, Our Catholic Heritage, V, 46, 53.
"oLibro Segundo de Decretos, fols. lo1v to lo3v.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968, periodical, 1968; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117145/m1/650/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.