The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968 Page: 585
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
On July 6, 1789, Father Oliva wrote to his superior in Zacatecas
that it was not easy for Father Reyes to leave San Juan Capistrano
and retire to the College because of his business entanglements with
the French and others. Nevertheless, the fathers who were running
the College were determined to get the books and reports of the
mission into the hands of the friar who was to succeed Father Reyes;
they also wanted the other missionaries to do what they could about
paying his debts.1
In the latter part of 1789 Father Reyes turned his attention to
Nuestra Sefiora del Rosario Mission, which had been abandoned tem-
porarily in 1779." Apparently, hearing that Father Reyes was to be
moved from Rosario Mission, Governor Rafael Pacheco" sent Father
Superior Miguel de Jesus Maria Rada" a letter, dated April, 179o, and
therein suggested that Father Reyes be allowed to remain at his post,
as the Indians wanted him as their minister. A reply was then sent
to Governor Pacheco explaining that, because of mismanagement,
Father Reyes was being recalled to the College. A letter was also writ-
ten to Father Reyes, stating that he should be subject to the Father
President and should submit an inventory of the goods in the mission
and incur no more debts."
Father Reyes stayed at Mission Rosario for fifteen months, from
December, 1789, to March, 1791, before he finally returned to Zaca-
tecas.'" Castafieda writes that in 1791 Father Manuel de Silva" "in-
"Ibid., fol. lo6f.
1"Reyes to Viceroy, the Count of Revilla Gigedo, May 1, 1790; Castafieda, Our Catholic
Heritage, V, 188-189. Nuestra Sefiora del Rosario Mission was founded in November,
1754, on the south side of the San Antonio River, about four miles upstream from the
Presidio of Nuestra Sefiora de Loreto de la Bahia del Espiritu Santo (commonly called
"La Bahia"). Ibid., III, 18o-188, IV, 26-27; Kathryn Stoner O'Connor, The Presidio
La Bahia del Espritu [sic] Santo de Zuniga, 1726 to 1846 (Austin, 1966), 27-34. Mission
Rosario came to an end in 18io. Sotomayor, Historia, II, 214. The ruins of Mission
Rosario still stand, a few miles from the recently restored Presidio of La Bahia, near
the town of Goliad.
"3Rafael Martinez Pacheco was governor of Texas from 1787 to 1790o. Herbert E. Bol-
ton, Guide to Materials for the History of the United States in the Principal Archives
of Mexico (Washington, 1913), 479, hereafter cited as Guide.
14Father Miguel de Jesds Maria Rada was elected superior of the College of Nuestra
Sefiora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas on January 29, 1789, for the usual term of three years.
Sotomayor, Historia, II, 374. The letter of Father Rada which is here translated is the
only one of his that the writer has found in the Bexar Archives.
"Libro Segundo de Decretos, fol. 11o, f and v.
l"Castafieda, Our Catholic Heritage, V, 2o, 188.
"Father Manuel de Silva was born in Zacatecas, Mexico, and received the Franciscan
habit on May 2, 1754. He was chosen superior of the College of Zacatecas in 1781. He
built the dormitory, infirmary, and chapel, and spent 61,ooo pesos on embellishing the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 71, July 1967 - April, 1968, periodical, 1968; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117145/m1/651/: accessed June 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.