The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 72, July 1968 - April, 1969 Page: 474

This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Southwestern Historical Quarterly and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association.

View a full description of this periodical.

Southwestern Historical Quarterly

ent. It seems as though the author wishes to remind San Antonio,
Nacogdoches, Laredo, Goliad, and Eagle Pass that their roots are
found among the ruins of the unimposing town of Guerrero. It be-
came apparent after reading the book, that there is a bit of neglected
Texas south of the Rio Grande. Yet, this observation is told so smooth-
ly and unpretentiously, that it seems to become one man's subtle
campaign for the preservation of this Texas town in Mexican Coa-
In telling the story of San Juan Bautista, Weddle fills the gaps left
by Herbert E. Bolton and Carlos E. Castefieda. Weddle tells the back-
ground as well as the tangents that led to the Hispanic settlement of
Texas. Briefly, Weddle also tells of the role that Texas played in the
Mexican war of independence from Spain. In treating the Texas
Revolution the author reaffirms the march of Santa Anna's army
through Guerrero and not Laredo, as erroneously reported by earlier
historians. Unfortunately, Weddle perpetuates the undocumented ex-
istence of the controversial Mexican tri-colored, dual-starred, 1824
flag reported to have been flown at the Alamo by the Texian defend-
ers. Other than the passage referring to the aforementioned flag, a
statement which is presented without the benefit of a footnote, the
book is extensively well documented. In summation, the book is
worthy of any Texana library for the untold story and message it
brings to the reader.
Bexar County Archives RICHARD G. SANTOS
San Antonio's Mission San Josd. By Marion A. Habig. San Antonio
(Naylor Company), 1968. Pp. xxii+255. Illustrations, maps,
bibliography, index. $7.95-
When the French from Louisiana drove the Spaniards from East
Texas in 1719, the infant mission San Antonio de Valero served as a
backstop for the retreating missionaries. At the settlement on the
San Antonio River the displaced priests took refuge until, two years
later, the Marquis de Aguayo was able to mount his imposing ex-
pedition to reaffirm the Spanish hold on Texas. By such a circum-
stance was founded at San Antonio that mission which came to be
known as "Queen of the Missions." The mission, called San Jos6 y
San Miguel de Aguayo, was founded by "the Apostle of Texas" him-
self, Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus, during his sojourn at San An-
tonio de Valero following the French "invasion."


Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

309 of 570
310 of 570
311 of 570
312 of 570

Show all pages in this issue.

This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Periodical.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 72, July 1968 - April, 1969, periodical, 1969; Austin, Texas. ( accessed October 25, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History,; crediting Texas State Historical Association.