The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 87, July 1983 - April, 1984 Page: 348
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
high standards for enrollment and performance. The trustees stressed
fiscal responsibility and accountability. The endowment, which had
been nurtured to $11.3 million in 1916, rose to $17.8 million in 1929,
$29 million in 1947, and $81 million in 1959. The administration and
trustees continually strove to improve the quality of the faculty, and
paid to obtain it.
William V. Houston, who replaced Lovett in 1946, continued to
build a quality program, stressing expansion in graduate studies. Hous-
ton is characterized as one who was "never guilty of the vice of ad-
ministering too much" (p. 147). Under his direction the institute
prospered. On July 1, 1960, Rice Institute became William Marsh
Rice University. Kenneth Sanborn Pitzer, who succeeded Houston,
enlarged the endowment and acclimated Rice to the modern post-
war world. And the book, which began with the celebration of the
opening in 1912, closes with the celebration of the Semi-Centennial in
1962. Paradoxically, academic institutions are notoriously deficient in
preserving their own historical records. One hopes that interesting
books such as this will not only gratify the alumni, but stimulate
introspection by academics about their own history and purposes. Rice
may not be like other institutions, but it is never clear just what it is,
Texas A&M University
HENRY C. DETHLOFF
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 87, July 1983 - April, 1984, periodical, 1983/1984; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117150/m1/400/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.