The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 90, July 1986 - April, 1987 Page: 266
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cover: Quicapg-Kickapoos, by Lino Sanchez y Tapia. Ca. 1834-1838.
Watercolor. 8 x to in. From Jean Louis Berlandier, "Indigenes de
Mexique. Voyage de J. Louis Berlandier." Courtesy Thomas Gilcrease
Institute of American History and Art, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
General Manuel de Mier y Terin headed the Mexican Boundary Commission's
exploring expedition into Texas in 1828. The purpose of the expedition was to
determine the boundary between Mexico and the United States, and to collect
data on the geography, natural resources, and Indians of Texas. Jean Louis
Berlandier, botanist and zoologist for the expedition, and Lt. Jose Maria San-
chez y Tapia, the expedition's artist-cartographer, made numerous sketches
during the commission's travels. The watercolor of the Kickapoo by Lino Sanchez
y Tapia was based on an original sketch by Jose Maria Sanchez y Tapia, who
encountered the Indian hunter a day's travel east of the Trinity River on the
way to Nacogdoches. This watercolor accompanied a manuscript by Berlandier
about Texas Indians which was edited by John C. Ewers and published in 1969
under the title The Indians of Texas in 183o.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 90, July 1986 - April, 1987, periodical, 1986/1987; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117152/m1/266/: accessed January 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.