The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 101, July 1997 - April, 1998 Page: 400
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
IMVain Street, Houston, Texas, ca. 1866-1869. Morris' Building, the four-story building at
the center of the photograph, was at 67-69 Main, between Congress and Preston on the
east side of the street. It was Houston's first four-floor edifice, as well as its first cast-iron
one. The building was listed in the 1866 City Directory, which means that soon after the
Civil War economic prospects seemed good enough in Houston for someone to build an
expensive new building. Photograph courtesy HIouston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston
Public Library, Houston.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 101, July 1997 - April, 1998, periodical, 1998; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117155/m1/483/: accessed December 12, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.