The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 101, July 1997 - April, 1998 Page: 462
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Dr. Ray K. Daily, who had been reelected to Position 4, made the intro-
ductions, and board president Holger Jeppesen "extended to Miss Hogg
the best wishes and good will of the Board members" and invited her to
attend any meetings held before her official installation on the first
Monday in May. Hogg thanked him graciously and stated in her firm but
soft-spoken manner that she would like to meet with each member of the
board and with the superintendent and business manager "to get the
benefit of their council so that [I] may become better acquainted with
the workings of the Board and better prepared to be an active member."'
The story of Hogg's service to Houston's public schools demonstrates
that principles formed in the world of private philanthropy can play a sig-
nificant role in shaping publicly supported institutions.
In 1943 Ima Hogg long had been revered in Houston and in Texas as a
civic leader who could identify community problems, develop innovative
solutions for them, and marshal widespread support in the private sector
to realize her dreams. Trained as a professional musician, she understood
orchestral music as "a fortress of refuge in time of trouble" and brought its
"inspiration" and "comfort"* to Houstonians as a founder of the Houston
Symphony Society in 1913. Inspired by the pioneering child guidance
movement that emphasized preventive measures to maintain mental
health rather than therapies to treat illness, she established the Houston
Child Guidance Clinic in 1929 as a community agency to study, treat, and
prevent childhood behavior problems that might presage chronic physical
illness, mental disorders, or social difficulties.5 When her brother William
Clifford Hogg left the bulk of his estate to the University of Texas, with
the provision that his sister decide how the money could best be used to
develop "the capacity of every man to become better educated for intelli-
gent living," she established the Hogg Foundation for Mental Hygiene in
1940, which was to be administered by the university. She imagined a
statewide program that would be preventive and therapeutic, would study
social and community factors impinging on mental health, and would
provide educational tools to Texans in rural areas, small towns, and cities.
Board of Education, Minutes, Apr. 5, 1943; also reported in Houston Chronzcle, Apr. 6, 1943,
sec. B, p. 1. Board of Education hereafter abbreviated BE. The BE minutes and meeting folders
are available on microfilm at the Board Services Department, Houston Independent School
District Administration Building, 3830 Richmond Ave., Houston.
4 President's Report to the Houston Symphony Society, typescript, Jan. 22, 1951, 3B179, Folder
3, Ima Hogg Papers (Center for American History, University of Texas, Austin). Ima Hogg
Papers hereafter abbreviated IHP.
5 In the 1940s the clinic was also referred to as the Bureau of Mental Hygiene or the Guidance
Center of the Bureau of Mental Hygiene. It became the Guidance Center of Houston in 1950
and is now part of the Depelchin Children's Center.
6 Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, The Hogg Foundation for Mental Health: The First Three
Decades, 1940o-970 ([Austin]: The University of Texas, 1970), 4, 11, 16, 21, 34. The name was
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 101, July 1997 - April, 1998, periodical, 1998; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117155/m1/545/: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.