Texas Almanac, 1939-1940 Page: 20
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
20 THE TEXAS ALMANAC-1939.
sity in Dallas, and for the successful op-
eration of the State Fair of Texas for
more than half a century.
The importance of widespread and ef-
ficient news gathering has ever been up-
permost in the efforts of the managers
of The News. The paper led in the early
days in the establishment of telegraphic
reporting of Texas news by means of a
state-wide network of its own corresponu-
ents. Today, in addition to special and
staff correspondents, The News is a vital
member of a' world-wide news service
which has never been equaled in history
for efficiency and reliability-the great
co-operative organization known as the
Associated Press, which includes 1,300
member newspapers in the United States,
fifty papers in foreign lands, and over
100 news bureaus in all parts of the
world. In 1900 the present Associated
Press was organized under New York
state laws, with the late Col. A. H. Belo
of The Dallas Morning News as one of
its incorporators. The News in Dallas re-
ceives the full, seven-days-a-week serv-
ice of the Associated Press and similar
services of the United Press, the North
American Newspaper Alliance and other
news and feature syndicates. The News
has its own staff correspondents at
Washington, Austin, Fort Worth, Waco
and Tyler. It was the first Texas paper
to contract for the Wirephoto Service of
the Associated Press. It is the only paper
in Dallas receiving news and wirephoto
service of the Associated Press on Sun-
days. The News leads Dallas dailies in to-
tal circulation. In addition to its Sun-
day rotogravure section, the only one in
Dallas, The News uses the famous
Sunday colorgravure magazine section,
In recognition of its "outstanding con-
tribution to its area," The Dallas News in
1935 received one of the University of
Missouri School of Journalism medals of
honor for distinguished service in jour-
nalism. In the same year it was chosen
by the Libraries of the University of Chi-
cago as one of 'thirteen leading newspa-
pers of the United States whose daily
files are accumulated at the Chicago re-
search center. In the latest issue of the
Political Handbook of the World The
News is the only Texas newspaper listed.
The present official family of The News
is headed by G. B. Dealey, who was
named business manager at the start of
the Dallas paper in 1885, became vice-
president and general manager in 1906
and has been president since 1920. The
Galveston Daily News was sold by the
company in 1923 to W. L. Moody Jr. of
Galveston. In 1926 stock control of The
News was bought by G. B. Dealey and
associates. Other officers include E. M.
(Ted) Dealey, vice-president; J. M. Mo-
roney, secretary and treasurer. Members
of the board of directors, in addition to
the officers, are Jack Estes, Meyer M.
Donosky, R. M. Buchanan, John E. King,
Harry Withers and George Waverley
Briggs, all of whom are residents of Dal-
las. The editor of The News is J. J.
Taylor; associate editor, William B.
Ruggles; managing editor, John E. King;
associate managing editor, Harry
Staffed by the largest number of ex-
pert reporters, editors and news analysts
of any newspaper in the Southwest,
equipped with tne most modern devices
m newspaper manufacture and directed
by a business institution famous for al-
most a century of successful operation in
Texas, it is easy to see why The Dallas
News enjoys an international reputation
as one of America's great journalistic or-
gans. These facts also explain why its
circulation is now the largest in its his-
tory. A better newspaper in every re-
spect than it has been at any time m its
long past, The News enjoys a greater
degree of prestige than ever before.
Headquarters buildings occupy more
than half a city block in the heart of
the business district of Dallas. From
there the company operates three oth-
er powerful agencies of information and
public service which it owns. These as-
sociated enterprises reach additional hun-
dreds of thousands of readers and listen-
ers throughout the Southwest. They are
The Semi-Weekly Farm News, the Texas
Almanac and State Industrial Guide, and
Radio Station WFAA.
The Dallas News began publication in
1914 of an afternoon paper, The Dallas
Journal, to meet certain needs in the
newspaper publishing field. Although it
achieved a valued and prominent place
for itself, changing conditions led to its
sale on June 1,1938. Karl Hoblitzelle
and Alfred O. Andersson, both of Dallas,
bought The Dallas Journal; at the same
time they purchased The Dallas Dispatch
and combined the two papers under the
name of The Dispatch-Journal. Harry
Withers, managing editor and Lynn W.
Landrum, editor, remained with The Dal-
las News as writers of editorial columns
after the sale of The Dallas Journal.
With a vast circulation in rural areas
that blankets the Southwest, The Semi-
Weekly Farm News is more than an im-
portant cog in the operations of "the
oldest business institution in Texas." This
paper which appears twice a week is a
continuation of both The Dallas Weekly
News established in 1885, and the Galves-
ton Weekly News which was started in
1843 and was merged with the Dallas
paper in 1923. It has been edited for the
past thirty-seven years by DeWitt Mc-
The story of The Dallas Morning News
and associated publications is told in full
in the recent volume, 35,000 Days in
Texas, written by Sam Acheson, a mem-
ber of The News editorial staff, and pub-
lished by the Macmillan Company.
The second oldest publication of The
News is the Texas Almanac and State
THE TEXAS ALMANAC-1939.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1939-1940, book, 1939; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117163/m1/22/: accessed November 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.