Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 80
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
arranged alphabetically according to county
in which located:
ANDERSON: On State Highway No. 7, one
mile west of Elkhart is the Pilgrim Predesti-
narian Regular Baptist Church, organized in
Illinois in 1833 by Elder Daniel Parker. First
meeting held in Austin's Colony. Jan. 20.
1834. Log church built, 1839. Present church
is fourth on the site. Continuous worship
since 1834. Old graveyard of pioneers ad-
joins. Two miles west of Palestine on U.S.
Highway 79 is site of Fort Houston, which is
now part of the historic home of John H.
Reagan. It was a fort and stockade built
about 1836 on the public square of Houston,
then in Houston County, by order of Gen.
Sam Houston. Town abandoned in 1846 when
Palestine made county seat, Anderson Coun-
ty. Fort was abandoned about 1841.
ARANSAS: Home of George W. Fulton,
who fought in the Texan Army, later cattle
baron. Old town of Fulton named for him.
First sizable meat-packing industry in Texas
was operated at this old port. Old port of
Copano Landing was located in this county.
ARMSTRONG: Site of the old Goodnight
Ranch is marked. Established in 1876 by
Charles Goodnight, first ranch in Texas Pan-
AUSTIN: At Industry is site of the first
permanent German settlement in Texas,
founded in 1831 by Friedrich Ernst, who died
here in 1858. Town laid out in 1838. In the
southern part of the county is San Felipe,
which was the capital of Austin's colony. Not
much of the old town of San Felipe de Austin
remains in the present-day village. In San
Felipe State Park is the monument to Ste-
phen Fuller Austin, "Father of Texas." In
San Felipe stood the only home owned in
Texas by Stephen F. Austin; burned 1836,
now rebuilt in replica.
BANDERA: Ten miles north of Bandera is
Bandera Pass, celebrated Indian pass known
from first Spanish settlement. Used by Texas
Rangers and by the United States Army.
Bandera is a quaint town. some of homes dat-
ing from old Polish colony. Marvin Hunter
BASTROP: Statue of Felipe Enrique Neri,
Baron de Bastrop located at Bastrop on the
courthouse grounds. Near here is a pine for-
est bequeathed to the city by the Baron, and
now a state park.
BELL: Near Salado is the Davis Mill, built
in 1864 by William A. Davis, first stone mill
with carding machine in the vicinity. A saw-
mill and gin were added in 1866. In 1871,
French burrs, water wheel and bolting silk
were brought from Galveston by wagon. This
mill made flour for Central Texas homes and
"no widow paid toll at the Davis 1ill." At
Salado is old home of Elijah Sterling Clack
Robertson, built in 1256-60. He was a Texas
pioneer, soldier, lawyer and one of the found-
ers of Salado College. At Salado is also old
home of Wellborn Barton, pioneer physician
and trustee of Salado College. It was built
in 1866. Old Military Road and Chisholm cat-
tle trail passed here. Statue of Peter Hans-
brough Bell, Governor of Texas and active
through the period of the Revolution, is in
Belton, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
BEXAR: In the introductory paragraphs of
this article something was said of the Alamo
and the Cenotaph. San Antonio is the most
interesting community in Texas historically.
Next to the Alamo, the old mission buildings
of San Jose, Concepcion, Capistrano and
Espada are possibly the most interesting
structures in the state. (See p. 43.) Archi-
tecturally, San Jose is the most interesting.
The San Jose Window, erroneously called a
Fanthorp Inn, Anderson, Texas.
Rose Window, is widely known for its deli-
cate beauty. Principal buildings stand today
as they were built. Finding of a complete
plan of the original San Jose buildings and
grounds several years ago has made possible
reconstruction of 1he entire group of build-
ings. San Fernando Cathedral is of scarcely
less historic significance: likewise, the Royal
Governor's Palace which is now maintained
as a museum. La Villita (the "Little Town"),
South Presa and Villita Streets, has been re-
constructed and restored by the City of San
Antonio and the National Youth Administra-
tion to preserve indigenous Mexican archi-
tecture and re-create the old way of life in a
little community devoted to the culture, arts
and crafts of Spanish Texas. A memorial and
statue of Moses Austin stands in the city hall
grounds. A statue to Ben Milam was erected
here by the Centennial Control Commission.
1936. The Texas Pioneers-Trail Drivers-Ran-
gers Memorial building was erected as part of
the Centennial year celebration, 1936. On the
San Antonio Jpublic library grounds is
The Pajalache Acequia (Ditch), constructed
early in the Eighteenth Century by the Paja-
lache Indians as part of their irrigation sys-
tem, which began at La Villita and ended at
Concepcion Mission. The Padres and Indians
traveled in canoes between the two places.
Vicinity of Battle of Rosalis, 3.5 miles south
of San Antonio, is marked. Here, March 28,
1813, the Republican Army of the North de-
feated the Spanish Royalist troops. Near
Losoya was fought the Battle of Medina, 1813,
Spanish Royalists defeating Republican Army
of the North, ending revolt of Texas against
Spanish rule. (See p. 45.)
BOWIE: Statue of James Bowie, killed at
the Alamo, is at Texarkana. Bowie County is
the location of many landmarks connected
with the colonization of Northeast Texas.
BRISCOE: In Silverton cemetery is marker
on original site of headquarters of the Quit-
aque Ranch, established by Baker Brothers
in 1877. Bought in 1880 by Charles Goodnight
for Mrs. Cornelia Adair. With the Palo Duro
ranches it comprised more than 1,000,000
acres acquired by Charles Goodnight in 1887.
Broken into smaller tracts later.
BRAZORIA: Twelve miles northwest of Co-
lumbia is site of Orozimbo, home of Dr.
James Aeneas Phelps, one of Austin's old
three hundred colonists. Hospital surgeon for
Gen. Houston's army at San Jacinto. Santa
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/82/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.