Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 81
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Anna was kept a prisoner here from July to
November, 1836. Old town of Columbia was
capital of Republic of Texas for short while.
Here stands Congress Oak under which first
Congress of Republic of Texas was held. Near
Clute is site of Eagle Island Plantation, home
of Sarah Ann and William Harris Wharton,
Texas Minister to the United States, 1836-37.
It was a "gathering place for distinguished
people." Velasco near Freeport at the mouth
of the Brazos was an important place of the
era of colonization and Republic, Texas' first
seaport, site of the Battle of Velasco and
place of signing of the treaty between Texas
and Mexico after Santa Anna's defeat at San
Jacinto. Quintana was also an early port and
resort. Old town of Brazoria also of historic
interest. Statue of Henry Smith, provisional
Governor of Texas at beginning of Revolu-
tion, erected here as part of centennial ob-
servance in 1936.
BRAZOS: Three miles east of Bryan is
marker on site of Boonville, established in
1841 as county seat of Navasota County. The
county name was changed to Brazos in 1842.
Town thrived until 1866 when Bryan was
established on the railroad. Millican, termi-
nus of H. & T. C. for a while in the '60s,
was one of most important inland trading
BREWSTER: The Big Bend Historical Mu-
seum on the Campus of Sul Ross State Teach-
ers College houses an especially fine collec-
tion of Big Bend and Trans-Pecos historical
relics and archaeological artifacts collected in
the Guadalupe, Davis and Chisos Mountains.
BURLESON: Near Caldwell is marker 2.000
feet south of site of Fort Tenoxtitlan, estab-
lished by the Mexican Government in 1830,
abandoned in 1832. Place passed from the
map in 1860.
BURNET: In the Courthouse Square at
Burnet is monument to the early settlers of
Burnet County and Fort Croghan, 1849-1855.
Near here are Holland Springs, first settle-
ment, 1848; Morman Mill, 1850; Black's Fort,
1851; Smithwick Mill, 1855.
CALLAHAN: Old town of Belle Plain was
pioneer county seat and an educational center.
CALHOUN: Six miles northeast of Port La-
vaca on State Highway 35 is site of Cox's
Point, early port. A town was established
--Photo by Robert JI. HIayes.
Tallest monument-at San Jacinto Battle-
field, near Houston.
here in 1836. Burned by Indians in 1810. Site
of old town of Linnville located 3.5 miles
northeast of Port Lavaca. It was an early
Texas port. Named for John Joseph Linn,
pioneer merchant, 1831. Destroyed by Co-
manche Indians, Aug. 8, 18-10. Fifteen miles
southeast of Port Lavaca is site of the old
port of Indianola, founded in 1811 and first
called Karlshaven by German immigrants.
An important Texas port until 1860 when the
San Antonio and Mexican (Culf and Indianola
railroads were completed. Partially destroyed
by a storm Sept. 17, 1875. Rebuilt but to-
tally destroyed by another storm Aug. 20,
1886. Old town of Powder Horn was located
near Indianola. Near Port Lavaca is the mon-
ument to the explorer, Rene Robert Cavalier
de la Salle. It was erected as part of the
centennial celebration of 1936.
CAMERON: Near Brownsville is site of
"Rancho Viejo," or El Espiritu Santo, estab-
lished in 1771 by Jose Salvador de la Garza.
First European settlement in Cameron Coun-
ty. Near old town of Brazos Santiago was
fought last battle of Civil War. At the site
of the Battle of Resaca de la Palma, 3.5
miles north of Brownsville, there is a mark-
er. HIere U.S. troops under Gen. Zachary
Taylor defeated the Mexican army under
Gen. Mariana Arista May 9, 1816, which al-
lowed Texas' claim to the territory between
the Nueces anti Ito Grande. At 1305 Wash-
ington Street, Brownsville, is the home of
Charles Stillman, erected about 1850. Stillman
was founder of Brownsville, and in partner-
ship with M. Kenedy and Company, opened
Rio Grande navigation and controlled much
of the commerce of Noirthern Mexico, 1843-
68. In Brownsville is Fort Brown, oldest
permanent fort in Texas; known as Fort
Taylor in 1846, renamed in that year for Ma-
jor Jacob Brown. On the courthouse grounds
at Brownsville is monument erected to the
"men who since 1535 sailed the waters of
the Gulf of Mexico to the green valley of the
Rio Grande in search of happiness."
CHAMBERS: Anahuac, county seat, is one
of historic towns of Texas.
CHEROKEE: Near Rusk site of Cook's Fort
established by James Cook as protection
against Indians, is marked. Near Rusk is
Mountain Home, birthplace of James Stephen
Hogg, first native Texan to serve as Gov-
ernor of Texas. Near Rusk is site of old New
Birmingham which was scene of the great
East Texas iron rush of 1891. Was once pros-
peorous community of about 3.500 and had
electric lights and electric street railway.
After a brief boom the town died. Last
remaining houses were demolished a few
years ago with the building of a new high-
way. For many years the pretentious struc-
tures of the iron industry stood. Near Alto
is site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas,
established in 1690 by San Franciscan mis-
sionaries. Permanently located on the San
Antonio River in 1731 as San Francisco de la
Espada. Community house erected near Alto
in 1936 at approximate site of original mis-
sion. Near Mount Selman is marked site of
Larissa College, established 1818, closed 1866.
CHILDRESS: Site of Old Childress about
four miles west of present city of Childress.
COKE: At Fort Chadbourne was old Fort
Chadbourne, established Oct. 28, 1852, by the
U.S. Army as a protection against Indians.
:Named in honor of Lieut. T. L. Chadbourne
Icilled at Resaca de la Palma, May 9, 1846.
Occupied by Federal troops, 1852-61, 1865-67.
Important station on the Butterfield Overland
Stage Route, 1858-61,
COLEMAN: Old Camp Colorado, established
originally in Mills County in 1855 and re-
established in the eastern part of Coleman
County in 1857 on Jim Ned Creek, was one
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/83/: accessed July 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.