Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 82
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
82 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1941-42.
of the important frontier posts of West Tex-
as. Stone building restored in 1936.
COLLIN: Original home of Collin McKin-
ney, located seventeen miles north of McKin-
ney, was moved as part of 1936 centennial
program, to site in McKinney.
COLORADO: The site of the beef canning
plant and residence of Gail Borden, built in
1872, is .5 of a mile northeast of Borden.
Gail Borden, inventor of condensed milk, op-
erated this plant until his death in 1874. It
was torn down in 1885. There is a marker
at Alleyton, oldest permanent settlement in
the county, and once the largest town. Estab-
lished by the Alley family, members of Aus-
tin's original 300 colony, Alleyton was the
terminus of Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colo-
rado Railroad, 1860-67. At Columbus is mon-
ument on site of projected capitol of Stephen
F. Austin's Colony, 1823, first settlement on
Austin's Map, Montezuma, 1835, and in mem-
ory of pioneer families of that region. At
Columbus is the Columbus Oak, beneath
which was held the first court of the third
judicial district of the Republic of Texas in
1837, by Judge Robert M. (Three-Legged
COMAL: On Comal Avenue, in New Braun-
fels, is home of Ferdinand Lindheimer, sol-
dier in Texas Army, father of Texas botany
and editor of Neu Braunfelser Zeitung, 1852-
72. On Mill Street in New Braunfels is site
of John F. Torrey's mill and factory, estab-
lished in 1850 as sawmill. Cotton mill added
in 1863. Eventually destroyed by storm and
flood. At New Braunfels is a monument to
the German founders of the town, Carl,
Prince of Solms-Braunfels, Commissioner
General of the Society for the Protection of
German Immigrants in Texas, and other Ger-
man settlers. The historic old tree under
which the Germans first camped has also
been marked. Here also is located Sophien-
burg, the old home of the Prince.
CONCHO: Near Paint Rock is site of the
most outstanding pictograph contributions of
the nomadic tribes of Texas. Scattered for a
half mile along the bluff are 1,500 paintings
by various tribes.
CORYELL: Near Gatesville is site of Fort
Gates, established in 1849 by Brevet Col.
W. R. Montgomery. Abandoned in 1852.
CROCKETT: Monument of David Crockett
is at Ozona, erected as part of 1936 Centen-
nial program. Erected in 1936. Thirty-three
miles west of Ozona on U.S. Highway 290
are the ruins of Fort Lancaster, established
in 1855 by the U.S. Government as a protec-
tion to travel on the overland route from San
Diego to San Antonio. Abandoned in 1861.
Reoccupied for a short time in 1868.
CROSBY: Statue at Crosbyton, in Hank
Smith State Park, of Henry Clay Smith (Un-
cle Hank) and his wife, early settlers of the
Texas Panhandle. At Estacado is marker
commemorating founding of the town in 1879
by a colony of English Quakers under leader-
ship of Isaac Paris Cox. Town first named
Marietta but renamed Estacado in 1886. Col-
ony disbanded and moved to Galveston, 1895.
CULBERSON: At Pine Spring on U.S.
Highway 62 are the ruins of "The Pinery" or
Pine spring Stage Stand, built in 1858 as a
station on the Butterfield Mail Route. Aban-
doned in 1859 when the line was shifted to
the Davis Mountain route.
DALLAS: The Hall of State on the grounds
of the State Fair of Texas in Dallas was
erected in commemoration of Texas heroes as
part of the centennial program of 1936. It is
a beautiful structure of Texas limestone
erected at a cost of $1,200,000 of state funds.
After housing the historical exhibits at the
Central Centennial Exposition in 1936 and the
Greater Texas and Pan-American Exposition
in 1937, it was leased by the state to the
City of Dallas and now houses the collections
of the Dallas Historical Museum. At the en-
trance are the heroic figures of Sam Hous-
ton, William Barrett Travis, Stephen Fuller
Austin, James Walker Fannin, Miiabeau
Buonaparte Lamar and Thomas Jefferson
Rusk. On the courthouse lawn is the cabin
of John Neely Bryan, first settler, recon-
structed principally of original materials a
-,. z ,- . . .
R' ~i,- -
. . , , .
The stone and adobe structures of old Fort Davis stand a short distance from the town of
Fort Davis in the picturesque Davis Mountains. Gradually the old buildings are falling in ruins.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/84/: accessed January 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.