Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 83
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORIC LANDMARKS. F3
short distance from the original site 100 years
ago. The Hord home in Marsalis Park is open
to the public. Millermore, home of the late
Lt. Gov. Barry Miller, and the W. W. Caruth
home, historic structures, are still used as
private dwellings. The site of the old French
colony, La Reunion, west of Dallas has been
marked, also the site of Cedar Springs, which
was established in 1843 and rivaled Dallas in
the selection of a county seat in 1850. Still
other historic sites are the location of the
headquarters of the corps of engineers who
laid out the Central National Highway of the
Republic of Texas in 1840; headquarters of
Peters Colony, 1845, near Farmers Branch
and the historic community of Grapevine
Springs in the northwest part of the county.
During 1941, Dallas celebrates the centennial
of its founding. Near Carrollton is site of
old frontier town of Trinity Mills which de-
clined when by-passed by railroad. Site of
old town, Breckenridge, one mile east of
Richardson. The equestrian statue of Robert
E. Lee and orderly at Turtle Creek Boulevard
and Hall Street is a notable work of art. (See
Dallas Centennial elsewhere in this volume.)
DENTON: At Denton on the campus of the
Texas State College for Women is the statue
to the Pioneer Woman. Erected in 1936 in
observance of Texas' centennial. Near Justin
Is site of New Icara, French Socialist settle-
ment established in 1848.
DeWITT: At Cuero is located monument
commemorating the establishment of DeWitt
County from the Colonial grant in 1825 of
Green DeWitt, and in memory of early set-
tlers of the county. Erected by the State of
Texas, 1936. In this county are many old
homes and other structures of historic in-
terest. Old town of Clinton, former county
seat, located on west side of Guadalupe River
ELLIS: At Waxahachie is the statue of
Richard Ellis, president of the Constitutional
Convention of 1836, erected as part of 1936
EL PASO: Near El Paso on U.S. Highway
80-A is marker for El Paso del Rio del Norte,
named May 4, 1598, by Don Juan de Onate.
In Hueco Mountains are the Hueco Tanks,
famous watering place for Indians and trav-
elers, and one of the historic landmarks in
the Trans-Pecos. Situated here was station
on the Southern Overland Mail Line between
St. Louis and San Francisco, 1858-1861. Out-
standing is the community of Ysleta, oldest
town in Texas. (See p. 41.) Near-by Socorro
and San Elizario were founded a short time
after Ysleta. Some of the present buildings
are partly of original construction. The pass
through which the Rio Grande flows, El Paso
del Norte, was a gateway for the conquista-
dores. The El Paso Memorial Museum, erect-
ed as part of the Texas centennial program
in commemoration of the part of this region
in the development of Texas, houses mineral,
archaeological and historical collections.
ERATH: At Stephenville is the Erath Me-
morial Arch for George Bernhard Erath, for
whom the county was named. Erected in
1936. He fought at San Jacinto. Small com-
munity of Thurber in north part of county
was once Texas' leading coal mining center
with 7,000 population. Industry declined and
finally was abandoned after discovery of oil
in Texas. Only a few houses remain today.
FALLS: Near Marlin is marker on site of
Fort Milam built at the capital of Robert-
son's Colony, Sarahville de Viesca, in 1834.
FANNIN: Old Fort Inglish, built by Bailey
Inglish in 1836 for protection of his family
and neighbors against Indians, was located in
Bonham. Reconstructed as part of centennial
program of 1936. At Bonham stands the
statue of James Butler Bonham, erected as
part of the centennial program of 1936.
-Photo by Robert 5I. Hayes.
Stockade at restored Fort Parker, Groesbeck.
FAYETTE: At La Grange is located shaft
in honor of the men of the Mier Expedition
and Capt. Nicholas Dawson's men. The bones
of these men are buried in the cemetery on
Monument Hill, across the river from La
Grange. Also at La Grange is the historic
tree under which Capt. Nicholas Dawson re-
cruited his ill-fated expedition. Monument
was erected in observance of Texas' Centen-
nial, 1936. Site of old Moore's Fort is also)
marked, also the old home of Col. John H.
Moore, built in 1838. There is a marker on
the site of Rutersville College, one-half mile
southeast of Rutersville. This was the first
institution of higher education in Texas. Rec-
ommended in 1837 by Martin Ruter, char-
tered in 1840 as a Methodist school.
FORT BEND: Statue of Mirabeau Buona-
parte Lamar, commander of cavalry at San
Jacinto, one of the Presidents of the Republic
and "Father of Education in Texas," stands
at Richmond, erected as part of 1936 centen-
GALVESTON: The historic City of Galves-
ton, dating back to the times when the pri-
vateers, Luis Aury and Jean LaFitte., had
their bases here, has few tangible landmarks
today because of the destructive storm of
1900. Markers have been erected to indicate
the significance of many sites in this city.
Here the Centennial Control Commission
erected the statue to Gen. Sidney Sherman,
who commanded the second regiment of vol-
unteers at San Jacinto. The monument to
Texas heroes, erected in 1900 through a gift
of $50.000 from Henry Rosenberg, is among
Texas' most noteworthy memorials.
GILLESPIE: The Vereins Kirche, recon-
structed from the original structure of the
German colonists, stands in a park in Fred-
ericksburg. This old German settlement is in
itself a landmark. The old Catholic church
and many commercial and residential struc-
tures have historic significance, notably the
Sunday Houses which were formerly used
by ranchmen and farmers as week-end resi-
dences in Fredericksburg. The John O.
Meusebach Memorial stands here, honoring
one of the leaders of early German immi-
gration. Twenty-four miles north of Freder-
icksburg is Lange's Mill, established in 1819
by Doss Brothers. William F. Lange operat-
ed the mill. 1859-1878, and Julius Lange oper-
ated it from 1878 to 1888. It is one of the
last of the old burr mills in Texas, and is in
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/85/: accessed November 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.