Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 85
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
ty, 1836-37, when the name was changed by
the Provisional Government.
JEFF DAVIS: One mile northeast of Fort
Davis on State Highway 17 is old Fort Davis,
named for Jefferson Davis, then Secretary of
War, established by Lieut. Col. Washington
Seawell, U.S. Infantry, on Oct. 7, 1854, for
protection from Indians. Evacuated April 13,
1861. When the fort was reoccupied in 1867,
permanent buildings were erected. Abandoned
In 1891. Many ruins of interesting old build-
ings stand today. Seven miles southeast of
Fort Davis on State Highway 118 are ruins
of old ranch home of Manuel Musquiz, who
settled here in 1854. He abandoned his home
on account of Indian raids. House used as a
Ranger station, 1880-82.
JEFFERSON: At Sabine Pass is the statue
of Lt. Richard W. Dowling who, with a
small force, repelled an attempted invasion
of Texas, Sept. 8, 1863. by United States
forces, in Battle of Sabine Pass.
JOHNSON: Old Bailey's (or Buchanan)
was first county seat, 1856. Declined after
county seat was moved to Cleburne in 1867.
JONES: Statue of Anson Jones, last Presi-
dent of the Republic of Texas. stands on
courthouse grounds at Anson, seat of Jones
County, erected as part of centennial observ-
ance of 1936. Near Hawley is site of Fort
Phantom Hill, established in 1851 and aban-
doned in 1854.
KARNES: Village of Panna Maria is oldest
Polish settlement in Texas. Established in
1854 by Rev. Leopold Moczygemba.
KERR: Site of Camp Verde, established as
frontier post by the U.S. Army, 1885. This
was the headquarters for the camels im-
ported by Jefferson Davis, then U.S. Secre-
tary of War, to be used as system of over-
land communication. Abandoned 1869.
KIMBLE: Near Roosevelt is site of Fort
Terrett, established in 1852 by the U.S. Army,
LAMAR: At Paris is a miniature (one-third
size) replica of the Mirabeau B. Lamar home,
erected as part of 1936 centennial celebration.
LAVACA: Old town of Petersburg, first
county seat, is near Hallettsville.
LEON: At Normangee stands monument to
El Camino Real (the King's Highway, or Old
San Antonio Road) which was blazed in 1691
by Capt. Don Domingo Teran de los Rios,
first provincial Governor of Texas.
Photo by Robert M. Hayes.
Midway Inn, historic stagecoach station
between Nacogdoches and San Augustine.
LIBERTY: Monument commemorating early
events is located on the courthouse grounds
in Liberty, the county seat. Another interest-
ing site is the Opelousas Road across the
Trinity, where the Spaniards settled Atasco-
sito in 1757. Marker erected in 1936 by the
State. Near Liberty is the site of Champ
d'Asile (place of refuge), French settlement
founded on the banks of the Trinity River in
1818 by Generals Charles Lallemand, Antoine
Rigaud, veterans of the Napoleonic wars and
other French settlers, proscribed with the
restoration of the Bourbons, as a "last ref-
uge for peace and liberty." Three miles
northeast of Liberty on State Highway 146
is site of Atascosito, Spanish settlement estab-
lished on the Atascosito Road in 1757, to pre-
vent French trade with the Indians. Alonso
de Leon, Spanish explorer, crossed the Trin-
ity near here in 1690. The Opelousas Trail
(Lower Road) from Goliad to Louisiana, ex-
tensively traveled in 1750-1850, crossed the
Trinity near here.
LIMESTONE: Old Fort Parker. reconstruct-
ed as part of the 1936 centennial program.
is near Groesbeck. Originally built by Silas
M. Parker, the father of Cynthia Ann Parker
who was captured during an Indian raid in
1836, when an infant, and lived 25 years
LLANO: At the Llano-Gillespie County
line, is the Enchanted Rock where in 1841
Capt. John C. Hays and his Texas Rangers
repulsed a band of Comanche Indians. Near
Llano is site of old Bettina, German Com-
munist Colony established in 1847 and later
LUBBOCK: In Mackenzie State Park is
segment of Yellowhouse Canyon, where oc-
curred the last fight in Lubbock County be-
tween buffalo hunters and Indians in 1877.
Yellowhouse Canyon was known to the Span-
ish explorers as early as the Seventeenth and
McLENNAN: Monument to Robert E. B.
Baylor, founder of Baylor University at In
dependence, Texas, is here, erected by Cen-
tennial Commission of 1936. Marker has been
placed at Waco Springs where stood Indian
village of Wacos from whom city took its
MADISON: Fifteen miles northeast of
Madisonville is the site of Trinidad, later
known as Spanish Bluff. The fort and town
were established here as early as 1805. Cap-
tured by Magee-Gutierrez Expedition in Octo-
ber, 1812. Near here a number of survivors
of the Battle of Medina were executed in
MARION: At Jefferson, county seat, is a
monument commemorating events of pioneer
,!:iys, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
:(,rvance. Jefferson was once the most im-
',ortant commercial center in Northeast
Texas, the head of navigation on Big Cypress
1ayou, connecting through Caddo Lake and
Rled River with the Mississippi. It once had
a population estimated at 12.000 to 15.000.
Decline came when it was by-passed by the
first railroad to build into its territory.
Many historic old structures here, including
old hostelry and homes. Old slave prison
near by. In Marion County is Kellyville,
named for George Addison Kelly, who died
in 1909. His foundry cast cowbells used by
early ox-team freighters. After 1860 his
foundry turned out the first modern plows
used in Texas.
MARTIN: Twelve miles northwest of Stan-
ton is Mustang Spring. Used as a watering
place in 1849 by Capt. Randolph B. Marcy of
the U.S. Army, being first water west of Big
MATAGORDA: On courthouse grounds at
Bay City is a monument honoring Karankawa
.:1 . -P
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/87/: accessed December 14, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.