Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 86
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
86 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1941-42.
. Robertson's colony. Seat of justice Milam
Municipality, 1836, and of Milam County.
1837. First home in Texas of George C. Chil-
dress, chairman of the committee which
drafted the Texas Declaration of Independ-
z MONTAGUE: Monument marking site of
Spanish Fort, the site of an ancient Taovayas
Indian village. Scene of defeat of Spanish by
French and Indians in 1759. Named Fort
Teodoro in 1778 in honor of the Commander
of the Interior Provinces of Mexico.
NACOGDOCIES: At North and Rusk
Streets, Nacogdoches, is site of home of
Thomas J. Rusk. The famous Old Stone Fort,
reconstructed as part of the centennial pro-
gram, with stones used in the original struc-
Austin State Teachers College. It houses a
historical museum. At Nacogdoches is old
building of Nacogdoches University, incorpo-
rated Feb. 3. 1845. Opened Sept., 1845, and
later absorbed by the public school system.
At Nacogdoches is site of home of Antonio
Gil y Barbo, founder of modern Nacogdoches
in 1779. At North and Mullen Streets, is site
of Mission Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe,
-Photo by Robert I. Hayes. established by Franciscans, 1716; its desert-
Powwow of Alabamas and Coushattas, ed buildings in 1779 served as nucleus for
Livingston, Texas. permanent settlement of Nacogdoches. Some
fine examples of colonial architecture here.
Indians, La Salle, Stephen F. Austin's Colo- On State Highway 35, 4.3 miles north of
nists, the Municipality of Matagorda, and Nacogdoches, is the site of Old North Church,
Matagorda County, and in memory of early first known as Union Church. Organized in
settlers of that region. Erected by State of 1838 and a small log church erected. Present
Texas, 1936. In Matagorda was organized structure erected in 1852. In its graveyard
Christ Church, first Episcopal church in rest many of the leading Anglo-American
Texas, 1839; destroyed by hurricane, 1854, settlers of Nacogdoches County. Four miles
and rebuilt on present site. Marker erected east of Nacogdoches is the home of Peter
in 1936. There are many buildings and sites Ellis Bean, erected in 1829. Bean was a Inem-
of historic interest in this county. ber of Nolan's Expedition, 1800. Comman-
MEDINA: Near D'Hanis is marker on the dant at Fort Teran, 1831, at Nacogdoches,
site of old Fort Lincoln, established by the 1832-35. Near Douglass was established Fran-
U.S. Army in 1849 and abandoned in 1852. ciscan Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisma
Three miles east of Hondo on U.S. Highway Concepcion, 1716, removed to the Colorado
90 is site of Quihi, surveyed in October, 1844, River 1730 and finally situated on the San
by Henri Castro. Established in March, 1845, Antonio River, 1731. Near Cushing is site of
by Louis Huth, agent for Castro. Many of the Franciscan Mission San Jose de los Nazonis,
inhabitants killed by Indians before 1860. One established 1716, removed to the Colorado
mile east of D'Hanis is site of Old D'Hanis, liver 1730 and again to the San Antonio
established in 1847, under leadership of Theo- /River as Mission San Juan Capistrano, 1731.
dore Gentilz, agent for Henri Castro. Named NAVARRO: In Corsicana is the statue of
for Guillaume D'Hanis, manager of the col- Jose Antonio Navarro, signer of the Declara-
onization society. Abandoned when the South- tion of Independence, and active in affairs of
ern Pacific failed to go through the town. the colony, nation and state of Texas. Na-
Castroville, founded by Henry Castro, has varro County bears his name and Corsicana
many examples of quaint homes of the early was named by him for the Island of Corsica,
Alsatian settlers. his father's birthplace.
MENARD: One mile west of Menard is NEWTON: At Belgrade is marker on site
marker on site of Mission Santa Cruz de San of the town which was established in 1839
Saba, founded among the Lipan Apaches by and was a thriving settlement before the
Franciscan priests in 1757. Sacked and left Civil War.
in ruins by the Comanches in 1758. The re- NUECE: The site of Fort Lipantitan, 12.5
stored buildings of Real Presidio de San Saba NUECES: The site of Fort Lipantitlan, 12.5
near Ienard are of historic interest. It was miles northwest of Banquette, is marked. It
established for protection of the Mission as occupied in 1831 by Mexican soldiers to
Santa Cruz de San Saba in 1757 (See p. 44.) prevent Anglo-American colonization of Tex-
At Fort McKavett is site of Fort McKavett, as. Captured Nov. 4, 1835, by Capt. Ira West-
established March 14, 1852, by the U.S. War over. The Corpus Christi Centennial Museum,
Department as protection against Indians. erected as part of the centennial observance
Named for Capt. Henry McKavett, who was in 1936, has an interesting historical collec-
killed at the Battle of Monterrey. Sept. 21, tion.
1846. Permanently abandoned June 30. 1883. OCHILTREE: Eighteen miles southeast of
Many original old stone buildings still stand. Perryton is the site of the Buried City,
MILAM: At Cameron is a statue of Ben Pueblo ruin built by Panhandle Pueblo In-
Milam, killed in the battle in which he cap- dians, discovered in 1907 by Dr. T. L. Eyer-
tured San Antonio in December, 1835. after ly, Floyd V. Studer and other archaeologists.
rallying Texans with his cry, "Who will fol- Dr. Warren K. Moorehead partly excavated
low old Ben Milam into San Antonio?" (A this ruin in 1919-20. The stone houses are
statue was erected to Milam at San Antonio said by some historians to have been in ruins
also, as part of the 1936 centennial observ- when Coronado traversed this region in 1541.
ance.) There is marker on site of the old OLDHAM: Tascosa is marked as site of the
town of Nashville, 4.5 miles southeast of "Cowboy Capital of the Texas Panhandle,"
Gause, on U.S. Highway 79. Nashville was 1877-88. County seat Oldham County. 1881-
surveyed in 1835 as capital of Sterling C, 1915. At Tascosa is the famous Boot Hill
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/88/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.