Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 87
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORIC LANDMARKS. 87
cemetery where "men who died with their
boots on" were buried.
PANOLA: Near Carthage is site of Bethany,
a thriving town in the fifties. The Shreve-
port Road, over which traveled many immi-
grants to Texas, passed through here. Eight-
een miles northeast of Carthage is site of
Pulaski, first county seat of Panola County,
1846-48. Named In honor of Pulaski, Miss.,
home of John Allison, first chief justice of
the county. Declined after county seat moved
to Carthage. At Clayton is the site of Church
Bethel, organized by Rev. Isaac Reed, Baptist
minister, Sept., 1843. Original minutes of or-
ganization are in possession of this church.
PARKER: The Double Log Cabin at Hol-
lnd's Lake, 1.5 miles east of Weatherford
Is a monument to the pioneers of Parker
County. In the east room George McCleskey
was killed by Indians in 1873. The west
room was Dan Waggoner's headquarters.
Ranch house built in 1855. Six miles north
of Weatherford is Veal's Station, settled in
1852. In 1858 an outstanding school was estab-
lished here by William G. Veal. It continued
for more than half a century.
PECOS: At Fort Stockton is site of old Fort
Stockton, for which county seat is named
Fort guarded San Antonio-San Diego stage
coach and mail route. Old guard house and
few other buildings stand today. Twenty
miles northwest of Girvin is location of Horse
Head Crossing on the Pecos River, so named
because John R. Bartlett while surveying the
Mexican boundary in 1850 found the crossing
marked with horses' skulls. The Comanche
Trail, Butterfield Route (1858-1861) and the
road from Fort Concho west passed here.
The Goodnight-Loving Trail, established in
1866, came here and turned up the Pecos.
POLK: The Alabama-Coushatta Indian Res-
ervation in the easternpart of the county
dates from 1854. Sam Houston, always the
friend of the Indians, was primarily responsi-
ble for establishment of this reservation.
POTTER: At Amarillo is a monument to
Padre Fray Juan de Padilla, who accompa-
nied the Coronado expedition and remained
as missionary among Indians. First martyr
for Christianity in Texas and the United
PRESIDIO: Monument at Presidio mark-
ing site of Presidio del Norte de la Junta,
established by Alonso Rubin de Cells, 1759-
60. This vicinity also the site of several mis-
sions established in 1683-84 by Don Juan Do-
minguez de Mendoza and Padre Fray Nicolas
Lopez. Monument erected by State of Texas
and Knights of Columbus, 1936. On approxi-
mate site of Mission San Francisco de los
Julimes at Presidio is marker. Four miles
east of Presidio is home of Ben Leaton
(known as Fort Leaton), which he acquired
in 1848. He was the first Anglo-American
farmer in Presidio County.
RANDALL: On the campus of the West
Texas State Teachers College is the museum
of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society,
housing a valuable collection of historical
relics, largely from this region.
REAL- Near Camp Wood is site of Mission
San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz, founded by
San Franciscan missionaries in 1762, aban-
doned in 1769. Site of old Camp Wood, fron-
tier post from 1857 to 1861.
RED RIVER: Red River County was the
center of a colonization movement unique in
early Texas history. Because the Sulphur
River was erroneously supposed by some to
be the international boundary line, instead
of the Red, there was a movement into this
region of Northeast Texas even before Aus-
tin's Colony was founded in South Texas
Clarksville was founded in 1832. Pecan Gap
and Jonesboro on the Red River were other
old settlements and ferry points. McKenzie
College at Clarksville was an outstanding edu-
cational institution of its day. Statue of
David Gouverneur Burnet stands at Clarks-
ville, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
servance. At Clarksville is site of The North-
ern Standard, edited and published from
Aug. 20, 1842, to Oct. 25, 1887, by Col. Charles
DeMorse, referred to as "the father of Texas
Journalism." Six miles southwest of Detroit
is the birthplace of John Nance Garner, Vice-
President of the United States, 1933-41.
REFUGIO" Monument at Refugio to Capt.
Amon B. King and his band of twenty-eight
men killed by the Mexicans, and to Lieut.
Col. William Ward and his men who defended
Refugio Mission against Mexican attack.
Erected in observance of Texas centennial.
Twelve miles southeast of Refuglo are the
ruins of Copano, which was named for Indian
inhabitants. Important Texas port. 1822-1870.
Winter quarters of Texas army, 1835.
RUNNELS In southern part of county is
site of Mission San Clemente, established
1684 by the Mendoza Expedition. Some ruins
still stand at site of old town of Runnels,
county seat prior to removal to Ballinger,
located four miles north of Ballinger.
RUSK The statue of Thomas Jefferson
RUsk, signer of the Texas Declaration of In-
dependence and active through a long period
of Texas history, stands in Henderson. erect-
ed as part of 1936 centennial observance.
Old Larissa, seat of Larissa College, was a
leading pioneer educational center, 1848-66.
SABINE: Monument on courthouse grounds
at Hemphill, commemorating events of his-
toric Sabine County, and in memory of early
settlers. There are many sites of historic
interest in this old county. West of Geneva
5.5 miles is the site of McMahan's Chapel, the
oldest Methodist Church having a continuous
existence in Texas. Organized by Rev. James
P. Stevenson at the home of Col. Samuel Mc-
Mahan in 1833. The first building was com-
pleted in 1839 by Rev. Littleton Fowler. Dis-
placed by new building in 1872 and again in
1900. At Sabinetown is marker commemorat-
ing the founding of the town by Herman
Frazier n 1839. It was a port of entry dur-
ing days of the republic.
SAN AUGUSTINE: One of Texas' oldest
towns, San Augustine, seat of San Au-
gustine County, site of many old residences
of interest, notably those of J. Pinckney
Henderson, first Governor of Texas after an-
nexation, Ben Roberts and S. W. Blount. The
statue of Henderson, erected as part of the
1936 centennial program, is located here At
Main and Columbia Streets is the site of
one of the oldest first Methodist Episcopal
Churches. Cornerstone laid Jan. 7. 1838, un-
der usages of Masonic order. Near San Au-
gustine is site of Mission Nuestra Senora de
los Dolores de los Ais, established in 1716 by
Franciscans. On Market Street. San Augus-
tine, is site of San Augustine University, In-
corporated 1837. opened 1842. merged into
University of Eastern Texas. 1847. At Main
and Boliva Streets is home of Matthew Cart-
wright, built in 1839 Still in possession of
his descendants. Seven miles west of San
Augustine on State Highway 21, is home of
Thomas S. McFarland, soldier, surveyor and
statesman, who laid off town of San Augus-
tine in 1833.
SAN JACINTO: Near Coldspring is site of
town of Swartout, laid out in 1838 and named
in honor of Samuel Swartout, New York, who
advanced funds to the Texas Government in
1836. It was an important steamboat landing
before Civil War. Ferry boat crossing until
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/89/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.