Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 88
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
88 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1941-42.
SAN PATRICIO: At San Patricio there is
a monument commemorating early events and
San Patricio de Hibernia, patron saint for
whom John McMullen and James McGloin
named their Irish colony, 1828, of which the
town of San Patricio was the seat. The old
home of James McGloin stands, 1.5 miles
southeast of San Patricio. With John Mc-
Mullen he obtained contract to settle 200
families in Texas, landing them at El Copano,
1830. His home was built in 1855 and he died
there in 1856.
SHACKELFORD: Monument erected in
1936 in Fort Griffin State Park, near Albany,
marking the site of old Fort Griffin, 1867-
1881. In valley below is site of town of Fort
Griffin, famous frontier town, headquarters
for buffalo hunters, principal supply station
on Dodge Trail.
SHELBY: In the courthouse grounds at
Center is monument to Municipality of Tene-
ha and pioneers. Erected in 1936. One mile
south of Shelbyville on U.S. Highway 59 is
the site of the first battle between the Regu-
lators and Moderators, led by Ephraim Dag-
gett and Ned Merchant. This led to an un-
organized war, 1841-44, the Regulators under
Watt Morman and the Moderators under John
M. Bradley. Gen. James Smith restored order
in August, 1844.
SMITH: Home of several of Texas' Govern-
ors and other public officials. Tyler and
Smith County are location of some interesting
old homes. The James Smith Memorial Build.
ing was erected as part of the Centennial
STARR: At Rio Grande is site of Fort
Ringgold, established Oct. 26, 1848. Aban-
doned finally in June, 1865. Gen. Robert E.
Lee visited this fort in 1856 and in 1860.
SWISHER: Seventeen miles east of Tulia
on Slate Highway 86 is marker stating that
two miles north of that place is site where
Gen. Ranald S. Mackenzie ordered shot 1,450
horses captured from Indians in the Battle
in Palo Duro Canyon, Sept. 28, 1874. He did
this to gain control of the large band of In-
dians who had left reservations on a maraud-
TARRANT: The Will Rogers Tower, Coli-
seum and Auditorium in Fort Vorth, were
erected in 1936 at a cost of $1,754,489, partly
with federal funds and partly with money
raised by private subscription. Nothing re-
mains today of the original Fort Worth, pio-
neer post, but the site is marked in the down-
town area. Seven miles north of Arlington
is site of Bird's Fort, established by Jonathan
Bird in 1840, on the military road from Red
River to Austin. Important Indian treaty
signed near here Sept. 29, 1843, marking line
between Indian and white settlements. The
Snively Expedition stopped here Aug. 6,
1843. Through Tarrant County went the heav-
iest traffic of the old Chisholm cattle trail;
there are many historic sites in this county
connected with its history.
THROCKMORTON: On site of Camp Cooper
near Throckmorton is marker. Established in
1856 by U.S. Army and abandoned in 1861.
TOM GREEN: Old Fort Concho was estab-
lished in 1867 by the United States Army,
at San Angelo. Many of the original build-
ings of this important frontier post remain
today. The West Texas Museum is main-
tained in one of the buildings, housing a
valuable collection of historical relics of that
area. Four miles south of San Angelo on
U.S. Highway 277, is the site of Ben Ficklin,
early stage point named for Major Ben Fick-
lin. It was the first county seat, 1875-1882,
of Tom Green County. Destroyed by flood,
Aug. 24, 1882.
TRAVIS: The old Land Office Building on
the Capitol grounds, now housing the muse-
ums of the Daughters of the Republic of
Texas, and the Daughters of the Confederacy,
is interesting because of its association with
the early management of Texas' greatest re-
source-land. Here O. Henry (Sidney Porter)
was employed and later laid the scenes of
some of his famous stories. The old O. Henry
home on East Fourth Street is also of inter-
est. The old French Legation on a hill in
East Austin still stands in good repair. It
was the home of Count Alphonso de Saligny,
French Minister to Texas, who came near
precipitating international conflict because of
the depredations of a neighbor's pigs on his
premises. The Governor's Mansion, erected
in 1855. at Eleventh and Colorado Streets, is
one of the state's finest examples of South-
ern colonial architecture. The former private
homes of Governors Pease, Davis, Hamilton
and Roberts are also fine examples of archi-
tecture. The former homes of Sir Swante
Palm and Amelia Barr are interesting because
of historic association. The old studio of
Elizabet Ney in North Austin is now a mu-
seum. The State Cemetery in East Austin is
the resting place of many of Texas' great
and near-great. The grave of Stephen F.
Austin is here. The Texas Memorial Museum
on the campus of the University of Texas
was erected as part of the centennial pro-
gram of 1936. It houses the finest museum
collection in the state, notably its geological
and archaelogical collections.
TRINITY: Fifteen miles west of Groveton
on State Highway 94 is site of the town of
Sebastopol, important shipping point estab-
lished in the late fifties. Named for naval
station in Russia. It declined after railroads
went through this section.
UVALDE: Near Uvalde is marker on site
of Fort Inge, established by the U.S. Army
and named in honor of Lieut. Zebulon M. P.
Inge, who died at Resaca de la Palma, 1846.
Near Sabinal is site of Mission Nuestra Sen-
ora de la Candelaria, founded by Franciscans
1749 on San Gabriel River, removed to San
Marcos River, 1755, and again removed here,
1762; abandoned. 1769. Near Sabinal is also
site of Camp Sabinal, established 1856 by
Capt. Albert G. Brackett. Served also as
Ranger camp. Waresville in Sabinal Canyon,
Governor's Mansion, Austin, an excellent
example of Southern Colonial architecture.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/90/: accessed January 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.