Texas Almanac, 1941-1942 Page: 89
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
founded in 1856 and named for Capt. William
Ware who settled here in 1852. In 1886 post
office was moved from Waresville to Utopia,
so called from beautiful location in Sabinal
VAL VERDE: Twenty-one miles north of
Comstock is site of Camp Hudson, established
by the U.S. Army, June 7, 1857, to protect
travel on the San Antonio-El Paso road from
Indians. Named in honor of Lieut. Walter
W. Hudson, who died April 19, 1850, of
wounds received in battle with Indians. Evac-
uated by federal troops March 17, 1861, re-
occupied after Civil War, permanently aban-
doned April, 1868.
VAN ZANDT: Statue to Isaac and Frances
C. Lipscomb Van Zandt, pioneer Texans. The
county is named for Isaac Van Zandt. Locat-
ed at Canton, county seat. Erected in 1936.
A replica of the original Finis C. Wills home
was built in 1936 at Wills Point which took
its name from this pioneer.
VICTORIA: Monument commemorating the
founding of Victoria County located at Vic-
toria. Victoria was a District under Mexican
Government, 1832; a Municipality in 1835, and
the county was created under the Republic
of Texas in 1836. Mission de Neustra Sonora
del Espiritu Santa de Zuniga, 1722, was locat-
ed here. This area was settled by the em-
presario, Martin de Leon, in 1824. Near Inez
is site of Fort St. Louis, French settlement in
Texas attempted 1685 by La Salle. (See p.
WALKER: During Centennial year, the
Sam Houston Shrine was established in a
park consisting of part of the old Houston
homestead. Houston's two homes while living
in Huntsville, including the famous "Steam-
boat House," are located here. The Sam
Houston Memorial Museum was constructed
which contains historical relics associated
with the life of Houston. Houston's grave
is in Huntsville. Many old homes of historic
interest are located here. A monument to
Capt. James Gillaspie, who fought at San Ja-
cinto, is located here. At Sam Houston State
Teachers College is Austin Hall, the original
building of Austin College, erected in 1851.
Used continuously by Austin College until
1876. Used as private academy, 1876 to 1879,
and by Sam Houston State Teachers College
since 1879. Twelve miles northeast of Hunts-
ville is site of Cincinnati, founded in 1838 by
James C. De Witt. It was an important ship-
ping point on the Trinity River. Yellow fever
epidemic caused it to be abandoned in 1853.
WALLER: Liendo, plantation home of
Leonard W. Groce, built in 1853. is located
3.5 miles east of Hempstead. This home was
purchased in 1873 by Dr. Edmund Duncan
Montgomery and his wife, Elizabet Ney,
sculptress. They are both buried on the
grounds. The Plantation Home of Edwin
Waller is located 1.5 miles southeast of
Hempstead. He was member of the Consulta-
tion of 1835, Signer of Declaration of Inde-
pendence, first Mayor of Austin. member Se-
cession Convention. 1861. Acquired the prop-
erty in 1846 and resided there many years.
WASHINGTON: Near Independence is ruin
of the early buildings of Baylor University,
erected 1851. Institution was incorporated
1845. moved to Waco 1886. A few ruins stand
today. At Chapel Hill is site of Soule Uni-
versity, established in 1855. Charter granted
in 1856 to replace Rutersville and Wesleyan
colleges. Closed during Civil War, and closed
again after the war on account of yellow
fever epidemic. Succeeded in 1875 by South-
western University. Georgetown. On the cam-
pus of the high school at Chapel Hill is
marker on site of Chapel Hill College, estab-
lished in 1852 by the Methodist Church as
--Photo by Rtobert MI. Hayes.
Steamboat House, Huntsville, the home in
which Sam Houston died.
Chapel Hill Male and Female Institute. After
the establishment of Soule University for
Boys, 1855. Chapel Hill College became a
school for girls. Closed in 1912. Near Gay
Hill is Oak Lodge, historic old Miller home.
At Independence is site of Old Baptist
Church, organized 1839. Sam Houston was
baptized here. 1854. Present building was
erected 1872. One mile east of Independence
is old home of John Hoblett Seward, built in
1855 of hand-sawed cedar. (See also leading
paragraphs in this chapter for account of
memorials at Washington-on-Brazos).
WEBB: Monument at Laredo marking the
original site of Villa de San Agustin de La-
redo, founded by Thomas Sanchez, May 15,
WHEELER: Old Mobeetie, near MIobeetie,
was principal trading point in eastern part
of Panhandle for many years after its found-
ing in June, 1865, after Indians driven from
this area by Battle of Adobe Walls, Nov. 25,
1864. Near Mobeetie is site of Fort Elliott,
established June 5, 1875. One of the last
posts established in Texas as protection
against the Indians. Post abandoned in 1889.
WILBARGER: Twenty miles north of Ver-
non on U.S. Highway 283, there is a bridge
at Doan's Crossing on the Red River. This
crossing was used by herds on the Western
Texas-Kansas Trail, 1876-1895. Six million
cattle and horses passed over Doan's Cross-
VILLACY: Near Raymondville is located
La Sal Viejo, saline lake which has been
source of salt since beginning of Texas his-
tory. Also known as Sal del Rey.
WISE: First house built in county, 1854.
by Sam Woody on Deep Creek still stands.
Cactus Hill, home of Cot. II. II. IHunt, estab-
lished in 1885 and old Waggoner home at de-
catur are other landmarks.
YOUNG: Old Fort Belknap, near Newcastle
and Graham was largely restored as part of
the centennial year program, 1936. It was
established in 1851 and maintained by the
United States Army as outpost against In-
dians until 1867, excepting Civil War years.
At Graham is the oak tree undter which forty
men organized the Cattle Raisers Association
of Texas, Feb. 15 and 16, 1877. The site was
marked in 1936.
-, ^}r i
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1941-1942, book, 1941; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117164/m1/91/: accessed July 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.