Texas Almanac, 1943-1944 Page: 29
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS
president of The News. His vision of the
significance of this channel of communi-
cation has long since been proven and
vindicated by accomplishments in the
field of broadcasting. The first transmit-
ter for WFAA was only 150 watts in
power and was located on top of The
News' building in downtown Dallas.
Within a few months the power was
raised to 500 watts and the antennae
strung for one full block between The
News building and the Missouri-Kansas-
Texas office building to the west. Studios
were a portion of the second floor in The
Studio and control rooms of WFAA
were moved in 1925 to the Baker Hotel.
In 1929 a modern transmission plant was
built on the Northwest Highway near
Grapevine. The power was increased at
that time to 5,000 watts and the station
was assigned a national cleared channel,
which it occupies today. In 1930 the
power was increased to 50,000 watts,
WFAA thus becoming the first super-
power station in the South and the irst
station of that power owned by any
newspaper in America.
Facilities of WFAA.
Radio Station KGKO has been jointly
owned by The Dallas Morning News and
the Carter Publications of ort Worth,
ublishers of the Star-Telegram, since
ept. 1, 1940. This station began opera-
tion in Wichita Falls in 1928 as a com-
aratively low-powered station. It was
ought by the Carter Publications in 1937
and transferred to Fort Worth. Its mod-
ern transmitter was constructed at that
time to provide 5,000 watts power. The
transmitting plant is located a short dis-
tance south of the city of Arlington and
equidistant from Dallas and Fort Worth.
From its Dallas studios The News' organ-
ization furnishes programs not only for
WFAA but also for one half of the daily
operating period of KGKO.
Two short wave stations are also main-
tained by the staff of WFAA, primarily
for picking up broadcasts of sports and
field events of various sorts. One is a
pack transmitter known as Station
KEGE, which sends in reports on 31,000
kilocycle wave length to WFAA, which
rebroadcasts on its own assigned fre-
quency of 820 kilocycles. The other is
Station KFAA, a mobile transmitter built
on an automobile chassis and operating
on 2,790 kilocycles. It is used primarily
in picking up reports of events at a
greater distance from the main broad-
casting station than can be served by
the pack transmitter.
To keep abreast of the field of broad-
casting, WFAA in 1938 installed a single
vertical radiator at its transmission plant
to replace its old antennae. This steel
tower rises 653 feet above the ground
and weighs 168.000 pounds. A network of
twenty-two miles of copper wire, placed
underground in spoke-like fashion over
an area of thirty-two acres, completes
the radiating system. This improvement
extended the primary listening zone of
WFAA to such a radius that the station
has the greatest coverage, day and night,
of any in the United States.
New Broadcast Studios.
New studios built at a cost of $160,000
were among the improvements complet-
ed during 1941. These are located in the
penthouse on the tenth floor of the sec-
ond unit of the Santa Fe Building. They
are unexcelled by radiobroadcasting fa-
cilities anywhere in the United States
and in size and number of studios are
equaled only by facilities in the major
network producing centers of New York,
Chicago and Hollywood. The studios
were in process of construction for more
than a year. New and revolutionary
principles of sound diffusion, rather than
the old methods of sound absorption,
were incorporated in them.
Studio "A" has an auditorium seating
300 people and a stage capable of seating
a symphony orchestra of eighty-four
pieces. In addition there are four other
studios, a newsroom, recording labora-
tories, offices and lounges to accommo-
date the more than 100 employees of the
All frequencies used by WFAA and
complementary services are assigned to
the publishers of The News by the Fed-
eral Communications Commission. James
M. Moroney, vice-president and secretary
of the A. H. Belo Corporation, is super-
visor of The News' radio properties. The
management of WFAA and now of
KGKO has been under the direction of
Martin B. Campbell for several years.
Station KGKO is licensed to the KGKO
Broadcasting Company, of which G. B.
Dealey is chairman of the board; Amon
G. Carter, president: E. M. (Ted) Dealey.
vice-president; B. N. Honea, vice-presi-
dent; James M. Moroney. treasurer, and
Harold Hough, secretary.
In tracing the corporate history of The
News since the beginning of the present
century, it should be stated that Colonel
Belo was succeeded as president on his
death in 1901 by his son, Alfred H. Belo
Jr. Two outstanding figures in the his-
tory of The News both before and after
Colonel Belo's death were Col. R. G.
Lowe, vice-president, and Thomas W.
Dealey, secretary of the company. Both
of these men continued to live in Galves-
ton after The Dallas News was estab-
lished and corporate headquarters re-
mained in the seacoast city.
The death of three of the ranking offi-
cials of the company within a span of six
weeks in 1906 was one of the most severe
blows ever felt by the firm. Those taken
were President Alfred H. Belo Jr., Vice-
President Lowe and Secretary Dealey
At that time G. B. Dealey was elected
vice-president and general manager of
all properties of the company, with Mrs.
Nettie Ennis Belo, widow of Colonel Belo,
as nominal president. C. Lombardi, a
notable civic and business leader of Texas
and a brother-in-law of Mrs. Belo, joined
the firm as a vice-president. Upon Mrs.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1943-1944, book, 1943; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117165/m1/31/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.