Texas Almanac, 1943-1944 Page: 59
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORIC TEXAS FORTS, CAMPS.
*t J45~,, 'V ,~
Jeff Davis County. Its construction is of adobe and stone.
CAMP PENA COLORADO, in Brewster Coun- then Ringgold Barracks. Active military post to-
ty. An alr United States frontier post. Aban- daiv.
dned about 1892. Ruins. CAMP ROBERTS, established 1879 by Texas
PILAR DE BUCARELI, PRESIDIO, on Trinity Rangers in Crosby County. There is no trace to-
River in present Madison County an Old San An- day.
tanic Road. Established in 1774 by Spanish cola- CAMP SABINAL. naxv the tawn of Sabinal,
niats returning ta East Texas after preceding Uvalde County. Established December, 1856, by
evacuation. Capt. A. U. Brackett, United Slates Cavalry.
INE SPRING FORT, Clberson Cunty. Estab- here is no trace of the camp today.
PINE FORT SABINE, at Sabine Pass, Jefferson Coon-
lishied for protection against Indians by U.S. ty. ]tere Capt. Dick Dowling with small force of
Army, 1856. Few evidences left. Confederates repulsed U.S. naval and landing
FORT POLK. at d Point Isabel, Cameron force, Sept. 8, 1863, saving Texas from in asion.
County. Established by Gen. Zachary Tayor in Park and monument an site today.
1846. FR lIT SAINT LOUIS, on Garcitas Creek at
FORT PRAIRIE, in Trav is County. Originally head of Lavaca Bay in Victoria County. Founded
called Fort Colorado. Established about 1836 for by La Salle in 1685. Abandoned after La Salle's
protection of settlers against Indians. No traces. death in 1687. Here French flag was first raised
FORT PRESTON, on Red River northwest of over Texas. Foundation of old fort remains to-
Denison. Established in 1840 by Capt. William G. day. Also called Fort Francois.
Preston as trading post and as protection against FORT SAM HOUSTON, at San Antonio. Present
Indians. Later became known as Preston Bend old fort around the famous quadrangle was con-
community. Abandoned in recent years because structed 1876-79 and occupied by U.S. Army
it will be inundated by waters of reservoir im- forces, though the Government Hill site had pre-
pounded by Denison Dam. viously been used for military purposes. From its
FORT QUITMAN, in Hudspeth County, on the building until 1942 it was headquarters of the Gulf
Rio Grande, eighty miles below El Paso. Estab- Southwestern U.S. Army area, the military organ-
lished in 1849 for protection of the San Antonio- izations that preceded the Eighth Service Com-
El Paso Road, abandoned 1861, garrisoned by Con- mand and Eighth Corps Area. In 1942 the Eighth
federates during Civil War, reoccupied in 1868 and Service Command was removed to Dallas but Fort
permanently abandoned in 1877. Named for Gen- Sam Houston remained as headquarters of the
eral Quitman, who fought in the Mexican War. Third Army. It has one of the more notable rec-
Some of buildings still stand. ords among the important military posts of the
FORT QUITONA, Bcrazoria County. Old Confed- country. It has been a pivotal point for opera-
ate post. No traes. a te o teAr tons during Spanish -Amernican War, World War I
pone ara nmenio eer. onosl trebne Mxhn N en sA d aD r RS lstny Eurablis hinU t
RAMt RID MA N i, a n outost of tel- ouil taand World War II. a er e er
Rio Grad eighty miles tpeoE so. Eotb- SSAN AUGUSTINE DE AHUMADE, PRESIDIO,
knap. Established in 1858. Named for Lieuten a nt established in Chambers County in 1756 a aS Span-
Radziminski, Second United States Cavalry, who ish fort. The post was moved one league away
died of tuberculosis. Lieutenant Radziminski was from the first site and was abandoned and de-
a Paole, who, before appointment to the Army, had astr y aed by Spanish in 1778a. No trace today.
served as an engineer on the American-Mexican CAMP SANDERS, Austin. Established in 1865.
Gedrades Estaishdsotygfe h Civil War CAMPuie SAN ELIZRIO an evc omn a e originoallas Spanisht
Boundary Commission under Commissioner John Named for Capt. William Sanders, Sixth United
R. Bartlett. States Cavalry (Brigadier General, United States
FORT RICHARDSON, on Lost Creek near Volunteers), killed at Campbell's Station, Tenn.,
Jackboro. Est ablished in 1867. Named for Gen- Nov. 16, 1863. In 1848d ther e was a camp at Aus-e
eral Richardson of the United States Army. See tin known as Camp of United States Troops at
Fort Jacksboro. Austin, garrisoned by two companies (troops) of
CAMP RICKETTS, at Edinburg, on the Rio the Second Dragoons. See Camp Austin.
Grande. Established shortly after the Civil War. CAMP SAN ELIZARIO, originally a Spanish
Named for Capt. James B. Ricketts, United States presidio. Established in 1680. In 1849 it was
Artillery, who distinguished himself at the Battle garrisoned by United States troops, abandoned and
at Bull Run. reoccupied by the California Volunteers in 1862.
FORT RING OLD, established Oct. 26, 1848 in It is on the Rio Grande, twenty-two miles below
Starr County. First known as Camp Ringgold, El Paso,
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1943-1944, book, 1943; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117165/m1/61/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.