Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 98
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
98 TEXAS ALMANAC -1945-1946
town of Swartout, 'aid out in 1838 and named
in honor of Samuel Swartout, New York, who
advanced funds to the Texas Government in
1836. It was an important steamboat landing
before Civil War. Ferryboat crossing until
SAN PATRICIO: At San Patricio there is
a monument commemorating early events and
San Patricio de Hibernia, patron saint for
whom John McMullen and James McGloin
named their Irish colony, 1828, of which the
town of San Patricio was the seat. The old
home of James McGloin stands, 1.5 miles
southeast of San Patrcio. With John Mc-
Mullen he obtained contract to settle 200
families in Texas, landing them at El Copano,
1830. His home was built in 1855 and he
died there in 1856.
SHACKELFORD: Monument erected in
1936 in Fort Griffin State Park, near Albany,
marking the site of old Fort Griffin, 1867-
1881. In valley below is site of town of Fort
Griffin, famous frontier town, headquarters
for buffalo hunters, principal supply station
on Dodge Trail.
SHELBY: In the courthouse grounds at
Center is monument to Municipality of Teneha
and pioneers,- erected in 1936. One mile south
of Shelbyville on U. S. Highway 59 is the
site of the first battle between the Regulators
and Moderators, led by Ephraim Daggett and
Ned Merchant. This led to an unorganized
war, 1841-44, the Regulators under Watt Mor-
man and the Moderators under John M.
Bradley. Gen. James Smith restored order in
SMITH: Home of several of Texas' Gover-
nors and other public officials, Tyler and
Smith County are location of some interesting
old homes. The James Smith Memorial Build-
ing was erected as part of the Centennial
STARR: At Rio Grande is site of Fort
Ringgold, established Oct 26 1848. Aban-
doned finally in June, 1865. Gen. Robert E.
Lee visited this fort in 1856 and in 1860.
SWISHER: Seventeen miles east of Tulia
on State Highway 86 is marker stating that
two miles north of that place is site where
Gen. Ronald S. Mackenzie ordered shot 1,450
horses captured from Indians in the Battle
in Palo Duro Canyon, Sept. 28, 1874. He did
this to gain control of the large band of In-
dians who had left reservations on a maraud-
TARRANT: The Will Rogers Tower, Coli-
seum and Auditorium in Fort Worth were
erected in 1936 at a cost of $1,754,489, partly
with federal funds and partly with money
raised by private subscription. Nothing re-
mains today of the original Fort Worth, pio-
neer post, but the site is marked in the down-
town area. Seven miles north of Arlington is
site of Bird's Fort, established by Jonathan
Bird in 1840, on the military road from Red
River to Austin. Important Indian treaty
signed near here Sept. 29, 1843, marking line
between Indian and white settlements. The
Snively Expedition stopped here Aug. 6, 1843
Through Tarrant County went the heaviest
traffic of the old Chisholm cattle trail; there
are many noteworthy sites in this county
connected with its history.
THROCKMORTON: On site of Camp Cooper
near Throckmorton is marker. Established in
1856 by U. S. Army and abandoned in 1861.
TOM GREEN: Old Fort Concho was estab-
lished in 1867 by the United States Army.
at San Angelo. Some of the original build-
ings of this important frontier post remain
today. The West Texas Museum is main-
tained in one of the buildings, housing a
valuable collection of historical relics of that
area. Four miles south of San Angelo on
U. S. Highway 277, is the site of Ben Ficklin,
early stage point named for Major Ben Fick-
hn. It was the first county seat. 1875-1882,
of Tom Green County. Destroyed by flood,
Aug. 24, 1882.
TRAVIS: The old Land Office Building on
the Capitol grounds, now housing the muse-
ums of the Daughters of the Republic of
Texas, and the Daughters of the Confederacy,
is interesting because of its association with
the early management of Texas greatest re-
source-land. Here O. Henry (Sidney Porter)
was employed and later laid the scenes of
some of his famous stories. The old O. Henry
home on East Fourth Street is also of inter-
est. The old French Legation on a hill in
East Austin still stands in good repair. It
was the home of Count Alphonso de Saligny,
French Minister to Texas, who came near
precipitating international conflict because of
the depredations of a neighbor's pigs on his
premises. The Governor's Mansion, erected
in 1855, at Eleventh and Colorado Streets, is
one of the estate's finest examples of Southern
colonial architecture. The former private
homes of Governors Pease, Davis, Hamilton
and Roberts are also fine examples of archi-
tecture. The former homes of Sir Swante
Palm and Amelia Barr are interesting because
of historic association. The old studio of
Elizabet Ney in North Austin is now a mu-
seum. The Sta te Cemetery in East Austin is
the resting place of many of Texas' great
and near-great. The grave of Stephen F.
Austin is here. The Texas Memorial Museum
on the campus of the University of Texas
was erected as part of the centennial pro-
gram of 1936. It houses the finest museum
collection in the state, including historical,
geological and archaeological collections.
TRINITY: Fifteen miles west of Groveton
on State Highway 94 is site of the town of
Sebastopol, important shipping point estab-
lished in the late fifties. Named for naval
station n Russia. It declined after railroads
went through this section.
UVALDE: Near Uvalde is marker on site
of Fort Inge established by the U. S. Army
and named in honor of Lt. Zebulon M. P.
Inge, who died at Resaca de la Palma, 1846.
Near Sabinal is site of Mission Nuestra Sen-
ora de la Candelaria, founded by Franciscans
1749 on San Gabriel River, removed to San
Marcos River, 1755, and again removed here,
1762, abandoned, 1769. Near Sabinal is also
site of Camp Sabinal, established 1856 by
Capt. Albert G. Brackett. Served also as
Ranger camp. Waresville in Sabinal Canyon,
founded in 1856 and named for Capt. William
Ware who settled here in 1852. In 1886 post
office was moved from Waresville to Utopia,
so called from beautiful location in Sabinal
VAL VERDE: Twenty-one miles north of
Comstock is site of Camp Hudson, established
by the U. S. Army, June 7, 1857, to protect
travel on the San Antonio-El Paso Road from
Indians. Named in honor of Lt. Walter W.
Hudson who died April 19, 1850, of wounds
received in battle with Indians. Evacuated
by federal troops March 17, 1861; reoccupied
after Civil War, permanently abandoned
VAN ZANDT: Statue to Isaac and Frances
C. Lipscomb Van Zandt, pioneer Texans. The
county is named for Isaac Van Zandt. Located
at Canton, county seat. Erected in 1936. A
replica of the original Finis C. Wills home
was built in 1936 at Wills Point, which took
its name from this pioneer.
VICTORIA: Monument commemorating the
founding of Victoria County located at Vic-
toria. Victoria was a District under Mexican
Government, 1832, a Municipality in 1835. and
the county was created under the Republic
of Texas in 1836. Mission de Neustra Sonora
del Espiritu Santa de Zuniga, 1722, was lo-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/100/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.