Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 32
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
32 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1945-1946.
and along the Atlantic Seaboard It was
issued annually during the period 1857-
1873, inclusive, excepting 1866, for which
year data were compiled but no book
issued because of chaotic conditions ex-
isting after the collapse of the Confeder-
acy. The early series of the Texas Al-
manac was a booklet of an average of 250
pages, though the Civil War year issues
were much smaller. Throughout most of
this period the publication bore the sub-
title, Emigrants Guide. (Supposedly
"emigrant" rather than "immigrant" was
used because the primary use of the
book was to be among those of the
United States contemplating emigration
With the passing of Willard Richard-
son from active management of The
News, publication of the Texas Almanac
was discontinued and there were only
intermittent issues until resumption of
the regular publication with the issue of
1925. After several years of annual pub-
lication a definite policy of biennial
publication was adopted. A complete
list of issues follows: 1857, 1858, 1859,
1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865, 1867,
1868, 1869, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1873, 1904,
1910, 1911, 1912, 1914, 1925, 1926, 1927,
1928, 1929 1931, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1939-40,
1941-42, 1643-44, 1945-46.
The purpose of the Texas Almanac
remains today very much the same as
when it was first issued from Galveston,
though somewhat differently emphasized.
Latterly, the chief purpose of the Texas
Almanac has been to inform Texans
themselves of the resources and eco-
nomic, social and cultural potentialities
of their state.
The same vision that prompted Willard
Richardson to see the need of the Texas
Almanac in his day was responsible for
the early entry of The News into the
modern field of radiobroadcasting. Sta-
tion WFAA, owned and operated by The
News, began broadcasting in June, 1922.
It was one of the first radio stations
established by any newspaper. This early
pioneering in a new field came largely
from the vision of the late Walter A.
Dealey, then vice-president, the eldest
son of G. B. Dealey.
The first transmitter for WFAA was
only 150 watts in power and was located
on top of The News Building in down-
town Dallas, with studios in The News
Building. Later the power was raised to
500 watts. Studio and control rooms were
moved in 1925 to the Baker Hotel and in
1929 a modern transmission plant was
built on the Northwest Highway about
fifteen miles from Dallas. The power
was increased at that time to 5,000 watts
and the station was assigned a national
cleared channel, which it occupies today
In 1930 the power was increased to 50,000
watts, WFAA thus becoming the first
superpower station in the South and the
first station of that power owned by any
newspaper in America
Radio Station KGKO was added to
The News family Sept. 1, 1940, in joint
ownership and operation with the Carter
Publications, Inc., publishers of the Fort
Worth Star-Telegram. It had been
bought by the Carter Publications in
1937 and removed from its original site
at Wichita Falls to Fort Worth. It is
now jointly operated with the studios of
The News' WFAA organization furnish-
ing programs for half of the time of
KGKO. The 5,000-watt transmitter is
located near Arlington, between Dallas
and Fort Worth.
Two short-wave stations are also main-
tained by the staff of WFAA, a pack
transmitter, Station KEGE, which sends
in reports on 31,620 kilocycle wave length
to WFAA, which rebroadcasts on its own
assigned frequency of 820 kilocycles. The
other is Station KFAA, a mobile trans-
mitter built on an auto truck chassis
and operating on 2,790 kilocycles. It is
used primarily in picking up reports of
eVents at a greater distance from the
main broadcasting station than can be
served by the pack transmitter.
To keep abreast of the field of broad-
casting, WFAA in 1938 installed a single
vertical radiator at its transmission plant
to replace its old antennae. This steel
tower rises 653 feet above the ground
and weighs 168,000 pounds. A network
of twenty-two miles of copper wire,
placed underground in spokelike fashion
over an area of thirty-two acres, com-
pletes the radiating system. This im-
provement extended the primary listen-
ing zone of WFAA to such a radius that
the station has the greatest coverage,
day and night, of any in the United
New studios built at a cost of $160,000
were among the improvements completed
during 1941. These are located in the
penthouse on the tenth floor of the sec-
ond unit of the Santa Fe Building. They
are unexcelled by radiobroadcasting fa-
cilities anywhere in the United States
and in size and number of studios are
equaled only by facilities in the major
network producing centers of New York,
Chicago and Hollywood. New and revo-
lutionary principles of sound diffusion,
rather than the old methods of sound
absorption, were incorporated in them.
It has an auditorium seating 300 people
and a stage capable of seating a sym-
phony orchestra of eighty-four pieces.
There are four other studios, newsroom,
recording laboratories, offices and lounges
to accommodate the more than 100 em-
ployees of the station.
All frequencies used by WFAA and
complementary services are assigned to
the publishers of The News by the Fed-
eral Communications Commission. James
M. Moroney, vice-president and secretary
of the A. H. Belo Corporation, is super-
visor of The News' radio properties. The
management of WFAA and now of
KGKO-Dallas has been under direction of
Martin B. Campbell for several years.
Station KGKO is licensed to the KGKO
Broadcasting Company, of which G. B.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/34/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.