Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 92
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
92 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1945-1946.
tennial Year celebration, 1936. On the San
Antonio Public Library grounds is The Paja-
lache Acequia (Ditch), constructed early in
the Eighteenth Century by the Pajalache
Indians as part of their irrigation system,
which began at La Villita and ended at Con-
cepcion Mission. The Padres and Indians
traveled in canoes between the two places.
Vicinity of Battle of Rosals, 3 5 miles south
of San Antonio, is marked. Here, March 28,
1813, the Republican Army of the North de-
feated the Spanish Royalist troops. Near
Losoya was fought the Battle of Medina, 1813,
Spanish Royalists defeating Republican Army
of the North, ending revolt of Texas against
Spanish rule. (See p. 54.)
BOWIE: Statue of James Bowie, killed at
the Alamo, is at Texarkana. Bowie County is
the location of many landmarks connected
with the colonization of Northeast Texas.
BRAZORIA: Twelve miles northwest of
Columbia is site of Orozimbo, home of Dr.
James Aeneas Phelps, one of Austin's old
three hundred colonists. Hospital surgeon
for General Houston's army at San Jacinto.
Santa Anna -as kept a prisoner here from
July to Noven ber, 1836 Old town of Colum-
bia was capital of Republic of Texas for short
while. Here stands Congress Oak, under
which first Congress of Republic of Texas
was held. Near Clute is site of Eagle Island
Plantation, home of Sarah Ann and William
Harris Wharton, Texas Minister to the United
States, 1836-37. It was a "gathering place for
distinguished people." Velasco, near Free-
port at the mouth of the Brazos, was an
important place of the era of colonization and
Republic, Texas' first seaport, site of the
Battle of Velasco and place of signing of the
treaty between Texas and Mexico after Santa
Anna's defeat at San Jacinto. Quintana was
also an early port and resort. Old town of
Brazoria also of historic interest. Statue of
Henry Smith, provisional Governor of Texas
at beginning of Revolution, erected here as
part of centennial observance in 1936.
BRAZOS: Three miles east of Bryan is
marker on site of Boonville, established in
1841 as county seat of Navasota County. The
county name was changed to Brazos in 1842.
Town thrived until 1866 when Bryan was
established on the railroad. Millican, termi-
nus of H. & T C for a while in the '60s, was
one of most important inland trading points.
BREWSTER. The Big Bend Historical Mu-
seum on the campus of Sul Ross State Teach-
ers College, Alpine, houses an especially fine
collection of Big Bend and Trans-Pecos his-
torical relics and archaeological artifacts col-
lected in the Guadalupe, Davis and Chisos
BRISCOE: In Silverton Cemetery is marker
on original site of headquarters of the Quit-
aque Ranch, established by Baker Brothers
in 1877. Bought in 1880 by Charles Goodnight
for Mrs. Cornelia Adair. With the Palo Duro
ranches it comprised more than 1.000,000
acres acquired by Charles Goodnight in 1887.
Broken Into smaller tracts later
BURLESON Near Caldwell is marker
2,000 feet south of site of Fort Tenoxtitlan,
established by the Mexican Government in
1830, abandoned in 1832., Place passed from
the map in 1860.
BURNET: In the Courthouse Square at
Burnet is monument to the early settlers of
Burnet County and Fort Croghan 1849-1855.
Near here are Holland Springs, Yirst settle-
ment, 1848, Morman Mill, 1850; Black's Fort,
1851; Smithwick Mill, 1855.
CALLAHAN- Old town of Belle Plain was
pioneer county seat and an educational center.
CALHOUN" Six miles northeast of Port
Lavaca on State Highway 35 is site of Cox's
Point, early port. A town was established
here in 1836. Burned by Indians in 1840. Site
of old town of Linnvile located 3.5 miles
northeast of Port Lavaca. It was an early
Texas port. Named for John Joseph Linn,
pioneer merchant, 1831. Destroyed by Co-
manche Indjans, Aug. 8, 1840. Fifteen miles
southeast of Port Lavaca is site of the old
port of Indianola, founded in 1844 and first
called Karishaven by German immigrants.
An important Texas port until 1860 when the
San Antonio and Mexican Gulf and Indianola
railroads were completed. Partially destroyed
by a storm Sept. 17, 1875. Rebuilt but to-
tally destroyed by another storm Aug. 20.
1886. Old town of Powder Horn was located
near Indianola. Near Port Lavaca is the mon-
ument to the explorer, Rene Robert Cavalier
de la Salle. It was erected as part of the
centennial celebration of 1936.
CAMERON: Near Brownsville is site of
"Rancho Viejo," or El Espiritu Santo, estab-
lished in 1771 by Jose Salvador de la Garza.
First European settlement in Cameron Coun-
ty. Near old town of Brazos Santiago was
fought last battle of Civil War. At the site
of the Battl o ae of Resaca de la Palma, 3.5 miles
north of Brownsville, there is a marker.
Here U. S. troops under Gen. Zachary Taylor
defeated the Mexican Army under Gen. Marl-
ana Arista May 9. 1846, which allowed Texas'
claim to the territory between the Nueces and
Rio Grande. At 1305 Washington Street,
Brownsville, is the home of Charles Stillman,
erected about 1850. Stillman was founder of
Brownsville, and in partnership with M. Ken-
edy and Company, opened Rio Grande navi-
gation and controlled much of the commerce
of Northern Mexico, 1848-68. In Brownsville
is Fort Brown, oldest permanent fort in
Texas; known as Fort Taylor in 1846, re-
named in that year for Major Jacob Brown.
On the courthouse grounds at Brownsville is
monument erected to the "men who since
1535 sailed the waters of the Gulf of Mexico
to the green valley of the Rio Grande In
search of happiness."
CHAMBERS- Anahuac, county seat, is one
of historic towns of Texas. (See p. 56.)
CHEROKEE' Near Rusk site of Cook's
Fort, established by James Cook as protection
against Indians, is marked. Near Rusk is
Mountain Home, birthplace of James Stephen
Hogg, first native Texan to serve as Gover-
nor of Texas. Near Rusk is site of old New
Birmingham which was scene of the great
East Texas iron rush of 1891. Was once pros-
perous community of about 3.500 and had
electric lights and electric street railway.
After a brief boom the town died. Last
remaining houses were demolished about
1938. For many years the pretentious struc-
tures of the iron industry stood. Near Mount
Selman is marked site of Larissa College,
established 1848, closed 1866.
CHILDRESS- Site of Old Childress about
four miles west of present city of Chlldress.
COKE: At Fort Chadbourne was old Fort
Chadbourne, established Oct. 28, 1852, by the
U. S. Army as a protection against Indians.
Named In honor of Lieut. T. L. Chaabourne,
killed at Resaca de la Palma, May 9, 1846.
Occupied by Federal troops, 1852-61, 1865-67.
Important station on the Butterfield Overland
Stage Route, 1858-61.
COLEMAN: Old Camp Colorado, established
originally in Mills County in 1855 and re-
established in the eastern part of Coleman
County in 1857 on Jim Ned Creek, was one
of the important frontier posts of West
Texas. Replica in park at Coleman.
COLLIN: Original home of Collin McKin-
ney, located seventeen miles north of McKin-
ney. was moved as part of 1936 centennial
program, to site in McKinney.
COLORADO; The site of the beef canning
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/94/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.