Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 94
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
94 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1945-1946.
program of 1936. At Bonham stands the statue
of James Butler Bonham, erected as part of
the centennial program of 1936.
FAYETTE: At La Grange is located shaft
in honor of the men of the Mier Expedition
and Capt. Nicholas Dawson's men. The bones
of these men are buried in the cemetery on
Monument Hill, across the river from La
Grange. Also at La Grange is the historic
tree under which Capt. Nicholas Dawson re-
cruited his ill-fated expedition. Monument
was erected in observance of Texas' Centen-
nial, 1936. Site of old Moore's Fort is also
marked, also the old home of Col. John H.
Moore, built in 1838 There is a marker on
the site of Rutersville College, one-half mile
southeast of Rutersville. This was the first
institution of higher education in Texas
Recommended in 1837 by Martin Ruter, char-
tered in 1840 as a Methodist school.
FORT BEND: Statue of Mirabeau Buona-
parte Lamar, commander of cavalry at San
Jacinto, one of the Presidents of the Republic
and "Father of Education in Texas," stands
at Richmond, erected as part of 1936 centen-
GALVESTON: The historic City of Galves-
ton, dating back to the times when the pri-
vateers, Luis Aury and Jean LaFitte, had
their bases here, has few tangible landmarks
today because of the destructive storm of
1900. Markers have been erected to indicate
the significance of many sites in this city.
Here the Centennial Control Commission
erected the statue to Gen. Sidney Sherman,
who commanded the second regiment of vol-
unteers at San Jacinto. The monument to
Texas heroes, erected in 1900 through a gift
of $50,000 from Henry Rosenberg, is among
Texas' most noteworthy memorials.
GILLESPIE: The Vereins Kirche, recon-
structed from the original structure of the
German colonists, stands in a park in Fred-
ericksburg. This old German settlement is in
itself a landmark. The old Catholic church
and many commercial and residential struc-
tures have historic significance, notably the
Sunday Houses which were formerly used by
ranchmen and farmers as week-end residences
in Fredericksburg. The John O. Meusebach
Memorial stands here, honoring one of the
leaders of early German immigration.
Twenty-four miles north of Fredericksburg is
Lange's Mill, established in 1849 by Doss
Brothers. William F. Lange operated the
mill, 1859-1878, and Julius Lange operated it
from 1878 to 1888 It is one of the last of the
old burr mills in Texas, and is in a good
state of preservation. On cliffs near by are
GOLIAD Location of old mission La Bahia
del Espiritu Santo, established here in 1749.
Also site of Mission Nuestra Senora del Ro-
sario, established in 1754 for the Cujane Na-
tion. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries
until 1794. (See also account of Goliad monu-
ment and memorial auditorium in introduc-
tory paragraphs of this article.)
GONZALES- There are many interesting
buildings in this old town laid out during the
Spanish era. Here the first battle of the
Texas Revolution was fought. (See p. 57.)
In 1936, the Gonzales Museum and Amphithe-
ater was built. An interior plaque is inscribed
with the names of the "old Eighteen" whose
courage held the Mexican forces at bay until
aid could be mustered. A granite monument,
also erected as part of the centennial pro-
gram, commemorates and carries the names
of "the immortal Thirty-Two" who went
from Gonzales to the aid of those in the
Alamo. (See p. 59.)
GRAYSON: Site of old town of Preston
northwest of Denison was submerged during
1944 by the rising waters of Lake Texoma,
impounded by the new Denison Dam across
Red River. About 1850 it was most important
town in North Texas, terminus of old Preston
Road and division point on stage route to
GRIMES: Twelve miles south of Navasota
on State Highway 6 is the site of home of
Jared E. Groce, built in 1833. Known as
"Groce's Retreat." He died here Nov. 20,
1836. Retreat was continued as a post office
and town two miles east of here after the
house was torn down. On the main thorough-
fare of Navasota is the striking monument to
La Salle, who, according to generally ac-
cepted history, was killed and buried near
this city. On Main Street in Anderson is Fan.
thorp Inn, built in 1834 by Henry Fanthorp
as a home for his bride, Rachel Kennard. En-
larged for use as a hotel. First mercantile
establishment and first post office (1835).
Kenneth Lewis Anderson, Vice-President of
the Republic, died here July 3, 1845. Stage
lines from Houston to old Springfield and
from Nacogdoches to Austin crossed here.
GUADALUPE: Five miles east of Seguin
on U. S. Highway 90 is marker on Battle.
ground Prairie, site of battle where Gen. Ed-
ward Burleson and his men defeated Vicente
Cordova, March 29, 1839, ending the Cordova
HALE- At Plainview is statue of Gen. Ra-
nald Slidell Mackenzie United States Cavalry
officer, who blazed the Mackenzie Trail in
1871, in quest of warring bands of Indians.
(See p. 68.) Erected in observance of Texas
HARRIS: Near San Jacinto State Park is
site of home of Lorenzo de Zavala, signer of
Texas Declaration of Independence, Vice-
President of the Texas Republic. There are
many sites of historic events in Houston,
though the city's rapid growth has caused
destruction of most old buildings. The Sam
Houston statue in Hermann Park is note-
worthy. (See also account of San Jacinto
Battlefield and monument in introductory
paragraphs of this article.)
HARRISON: At Marshall is Wyalucing.
built in 1850 by Beverly Lafayette Holcomb,
one of the first brick homes in Marshall.
Purchased for Bishop College in 1880. In
Marshall still stand the old dwellings used in
the early 1860's as "capitol" and Governor's
Mansion" of Missouri where Gov. Claiborne
F. Jackson and staff, Civil War refugees from
their own state, set up headquarters and con-
ducted affairs of state. As a result, Mar-
shall, Texas, has the distinction of having
once been the capital of Missouri. After Gov-
ernor Jackson's death in 1862, Lieut. Gov.
Thomas C. Reynolds established himself as
HENDERSON: Site of Old Buffalo former
county seat, established by John H. Reagan,
is on Trinity in west part of county.
HILL: The frontier military post, Fort
Graham, reconstructed partly with original
stone, stands on a fifty-acre site near the
Brazos in the western part of the county.
Established March 27, 1849; abandoned Nov.
9, 1853, after defenses a ainst Indians had
been built farther west. Named for Lt. Col.
William M. Graham, killed during Mexican
War. On Brazos is site of old Towash, pio-
neer trading center and important Indian
community prior to white settlement.
HOCKLEY: Near Levelland is marker on
site of Casas Amarillas (Yellow Houses), most
famous landmark of the South Plains. Trad-
ing post for Buffalo campers, freighters and
cattlemen. Acquired by the XIT Syndicate
in 1882, and by Major George W. Littlefield
HOOD: Near Acton is site of home of Eliz.
abeth Crockett, wife of David Crockett, Alamo
hero. She died here March 2, 1860, Site of
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/96/: accessed April 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.