Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 95
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
TEXAS LANDMARKS. 95
old Fort Spunky is in eastern part of county.
At Thorp Spring, J. A. Clark and his sons,
Addison and Randolph, founded Add-Ran
Christian College, 1873, removed to Waco,
1895; established at Fort Worth as Texas
Christian University, 1909. Old stone building
still stands at Thorp Spring.
HOUSTON: The David Crockett Memorial
Building is an elegant community center
erected at Crockett during the 1936 centen-
nial celebration. A number of interesting
old homes are found here. Near Crockett is
Stage Coach Inn, built as a home by Joseph
D. Rice Sr., who came to this state in 1828.
Stage coach station in 1838. Ten miles south-
west of Crockett is site of the old town of
Alabama, important shipping point before
Civil War. The first institution of higher
education in Houston County, Trinity Col-
lege, established here and charter granted by
the Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1841.
HUDSPETH: One mile east of Salt Flats
on U. S. Highway 62 is marker commemorat-
ing Salt War, 1877, caused by conflicting
claims to the salt in these shallow lakes and
HUTCHINSON: Thirty miles east of Stin-
nett is the site of the Battle of Adobe Walls,
fought Nov. 25, 1864, by Col. Christopher
(Kit) Carson, commanding U. S. troops
against a band of Kiowa and Comanche In-
dians. This was Kit Carson's last fight.
JACK: On a 42-acre site near Jacksboro
stands reconditioned Fort Richardson, one of
the most important of frontier posts, estab-
lished by the United States Army Nov. 26.
1867, and abandoned May 3, 1878. Named
for Gen. Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A., killed
during Civil War.
JACKSON: On the courthouse grounds at
Edna is a monument, giving history of the
county and honoring the early settlers of the
Municipality of Jackson, 1835, and county of
Jackson, from 1836. Erected, 1936. Eight
miles southeast of Edna is site of old town
of Texana, founded in 1834 by Dr. F. F.
Wells, friend of Stephen F. Austin. County
seat Jackson County, 1835-1883.
JASPER: Monument located in Courthouse
Square at Jasper honoring Jasper County
and in memory of early settlers. Many old
homes and other structures of historic inter-
est. West of Jasper 9.5 miles is site of the
old town of Bevilport, established by John
Bevil in 1834 and county seat of Municipality
of Bevil. Important river port, 1830-60. Mail
station in 1835., County seat of Jasper County,
1836-37, when the name was changed by the
JEFF DAVIS: One mile northeast of Fort
Davis on State Highway 17 is old Fort Davis,
named for Jefferson Davis, then Secretary of
War, established by Lt. Col. Washington Sea.
well, U. S. Infantry, on Oct. 7, 1854, for pro-
tection from Indians. Evacuated April 13,
1861. When the fort was reoccupled in 1867,
permanent buildings were erected. Abandoned
in 1891. Many ruins of interesting old build-
ings stand today. Seven miles southeast of
Fort Davis on State Highway 118 are ruins
of old ranch home of Manuel Musquiz, who
settled here in 1854. He abandoned his home
on account of Indian raids. House used as a
Ranger station, 1880-82.
JEFFERSON: At Sabine Pass is the statue
of Lt. Richard W. Dowling, who, with a
small force, repelled an attempted invasion
of Texas, Sept. 8, 1863, by United States
forces, in Battle of Sabine Pass.
JOHNSON: Old Bailey's (or Buchanan)
was first county seat, 1856. Declined after
county seat was moved to Cleburne in 1867.
JONES: Statue of Anson Jones, last Presi-
dent of the Republic of Texas, stands on
courthouse grounds at Anson. seat of Jones
County. erected as part of centennial observ-
ance of 1936. Near Hawley is site of Fort
Phantom Hill, established in 1851 and aban-
doned in 1854.
KARNES: Village of Panna Maria is oldest
Polish settlement in Texas. Established in
1854 by Rev. Leopold Moczygemba.
KERR: Site of Camp Verde, established as
frontier post by the U. S. Army, 1885. This
was the headquarters for the camels im-
ported by Jefferson Davis, then U. S. Secre-
tary of War, to be used as system of over-
land communication. Abandoned 1869.
KIMBLE: Near Roosevelt is site of Fort
Terrett, established in 1852 by the U. S.
Army, abandoned 1854.
LAMAR " At Paris is a miniature (one-third
size) replica of the Mirabeau B. Lamar home,
erected as part of 1936 centennial celebration.
LAVACA: Old town of Petersburg, first
County seat, is near Hallettsville.
LEON: At Normangee stands monument to
El Camino Real (the King's Highway, or Old
San Antonio Road), which was blazed in 1691
by Capt. Don Domingo Teran de los Rios,
first provincial Governor of Texas.
LIBERTY: Monument commemorating early
events is located on the courthouse grounds
in Liberty, the county seat. Another interest-
ing site is the Opelousas Road across the
Trinity, where the Spaniards settled Atasco-
sito in 1757. Marker erected in 1936 by the
State. Near Liberty is the site of Champ
d'Asile (place of refuge), French settlement
founded on the banks of the Trinity River in
1818 by Generals Charles Laliemand, Antoine
Rigaud, veterans of the Napoleonic wars and
other French settlers, proscribed with the
restoration of the Bourbons, as a "last refuge
for peace and liberty " Three miles north-
east of Liberty on State Highway 146 is site
of Atascosito, Spanish settlement established
on the Atascosito Road in 1757, to prevent
French trade with the Indians. Alonso de
Leon, Spanish explorer, crossed the Trinity
near here in 1690. The Opelousas Trail
(Lower Road) from Goliad to Louisiana, ex-
tensively traveled in 1750-1850, crossed the
Trinity near here.
LIMESTONE: Old Fort Parker, recon-
structed as part of the 1936 centennial pro-
gram, is near Groesbeck. Originally built by
Silas M. Parker, the father of Cynthia Ann
Parker, who was captured during an Indian
raid in 1836, when an infant, and lived
twenty-five years among Comanches.
LLANO: At the Llano-Gllespie County
line is the Enchanted Rock where in 1841
Capt. John C. Hays and his Texas Rangers
repulsed a band of Comanche Indians. Near
Llano is site of old Bettina, German Com-
munist Colony established in 1847 and later
LUBBOCK: In Mackenzie State Park is
segment of Yellowhouse Canyon, where oc-
curred the last fight in Lubbock County be-
tween buffalo hunters and Indians in 1877.
Yellowhouse Canyon was known to the Span-
ish explorers as early as the Seventeenth and
McLENNAN: Monument to Robert E. B.
Baylor, founder of Baylor University at In-
dependence, Texas, is at Waco, erected by
Centennial Commission of 1936. Marker has
been placed at Waco Springs where stood
Indian village of Wacos from whom city took
MADISON: Fifteen miles northeast of
Madisonville is the site of Trinidad, later
known as Spanish Bluff. The fort and town
were established here as early as 1805. Cap-
tured by Magee-Gutierrez Expedition in Octo-
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/97/: accessed February 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.