Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 96
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
96 TEXAS ALMANAC.-1945-1946.
ber, 1812. Near here a number of survivors
of the Battle of Medina were executed in
MARION: At Jefferson, county seat, is a
monument commemorating events of pioneer
days, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
servance. Jefferson was once the most im-
portant commercial center in Northeast
exas, the head of navigation on Big Cypress
Bayou, connecting through Caddo Lake and
Red River with the Mississippi. It once had
a population estimated at 6.000 to 8,000.
Decline came when It was by-passed by the
first railroad to build into its territory. Many
historic old structures here, including old
hostelry and homes. Old slave prison near
by. In Marion County is Kellyville, named
for George Addison Kelly, who died in 1909.
His foundry cast cowbells used by early ox-
team freighters. After 1860 his foundry
turned out the first modern plows used in
MARTIN: Twelve miles northwest of Stan.
ton is Mustang Spring. Used as a watering
place in 1849 by Capt. Randolph B. Marcy of
the U. S. Army, being first water west of Big
MATAGORDA: On courthouse grounds at
Bay City is a monument honoring Karankawa
Indians, La Salle, Stephen F. Austin's Colo-
nists, the Municipality of Matagorda, and
Matagorda County, and in memory of early
settlers of that region. Erected by State of
Texas, 1936. In Matagorda was organized
Christ Church, first Episcopal church in
Texas, 1839; destroyed by hurricane, 1854,
and rebuilt on present site. Marker erected
in 1936. There are many buildings and sites
of historic interest in this county.
MEDINA: Near D'Hanls is marker on the
site of old Fort Lincoln, established by the
U. S. Army in 1849 and abandoned in 1852.
Three miles east of Hondo on U. S. Highway
90 is site of Quihi, surveyed in October, 1844,
by Henri Castro. Established in March, 1845,
by Louis Huth, agent for Castro. Many of the
inhabitants killed by Indians before 160.
One mile east of D'Hanis is site of Old
D'Hanis, established in 1847, under leader-
ship of Theodore Gentilz, agent for Henri
Castro. Named for Guillaume D'Hanis, man-
ager of the colonization society. Abandoned
when the Southern Pacific failed to go
through the town. Castroville, founded by
Henry Castro, has many examples of quaint
homes of the early Alsatian settlers.
MENARD: One mile west of Menard is
marker on site of Mission Santa Cruz de San
Saba, founded among the Lipan Apaches by
Franciscan priests in 1756. Sacked and left
in ruins by the Comanches in 1758. The re-
stored buildings of Real Presidio de San Saba
near Menard are of historic interest. It was
established for protection of the Mission
Santa Cruz de San Saba in 1757. (See p. 52.)
At Fort McKavett is site of Fort McKavett,
established March 14, 1852, by the U. S. War
Department as protection against Indians.
Named for Capt. Henry McKavett, who was
killed at the Battle of Monterrey, Sept. 21,
1846. Permanently abandoned June 30, 1883.
Many old stone buildings still stand.
MILAM- At Cameron is a statue of Ben
Milam, killed in the battle in which he cap-
tured San Antonio in December, 1835, after
rallying Texans with his cry, "Who will fol-
low old Ben Milam Into San Antonio?" (A
statue was erected to Milam at San Antonio
also, as part of the 1936 centennial observ-
ance.) There is marker on site of the old
town of Nashville, 4.5 miles southeast of
Gause, on U. S. Highw$y 79. Nashville was
surveyed in 1835 as capital of Sterling C.
Robertsonts colony. Seat of Justice Milam
Municipality, 1836, and of Mliam County,
1837. First home in Texas of George C. Chil-
dress, chairman of the committee which
drafted the Texas Declaration of Independ-
MONTAGUE: Monument marking site of
Spanish Fort, the site of an ancient Taovayas
Indian village. Scene of defeat of Spanish by
French and Indians in 1759. Named Fort
Teodoro In 1778 in honor of the Commander
of the Interior Province of Mexico.
NACOGDOCHES: At North and Rusk
Streets, Nacogdoches, is site of home of
Thomas J. Rusk. The famous Old Stone Fort,
reconstructed as part of the centennial pro-
gram, with stones used in the original struc-
ture, Stands on the campus of Stephen F.
Autin State Teachers College. It houses a
historical museum. At Nacogdoches is old
building of Nacogdoches University, incorpo-
rated Feb. 3, 1845. Opened September, 1845,
and later absorbed by the public school sys-
tem. At Nacogdoches is site of home of
Antonio GIl y Barbo, founder of modern Nac-
ogdoches in 1779. At North and Mullen Streets
is site of Mission Nuestra Senora de Guada-
lupe, established by Franciscans, 1716, its de-
serted buildings in 1779 served as nucleus for
permanent settlement of Nacogdoches. Some
fine examples of colonial architecture here.
On State Highway 35, 4.3 miles north of
Nacogdoches, 1s the site of Old North Church,
first known as Union Church. Organized in
1838 and a small log church erected. Present
structure erected in 1852. In its graveyard
rest many of the leading Anglo-American
settlers of Nacogdoches County. Four miles
east of Nacogdoches is the home of Peter
Ellis Bean, erected in 1829. Bean was a mem-
ber of Nolan's Expedition, 1800. Comman-
dant at Fort Teran, 1831, at Nacogdoches,
1832-35. Near Douglass was established Fran-
ciscan Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisma
Concepcion, 1716, removed to the Colorado
River 1730 and finally situated on the San
Antonio River, 1731. Near Cushing is site of
Franciscan Mission San Jose de los Nazonis,
established 1716, removed to the Colorado
River 1730 and again to the San Antonio
River as Mission San Juan Capistrano, 1731.
NAVARRO: In Corsicana is the statue of
Jose Antonio Navarro, signer of the Declara-
ttion of Independence, and active in affairs of
the colony, nation and state of Texas. Na-
varro County bears his name and Corsicana
was named by him for the Island of Corsica,
his father's birthplace.
NEWTON: At Belgrade is marker on site
of the town which was established in 1839
and was a thriving settlement before the
NUECES: The site of Fort Lipantitlan, 12.5
miles northwest of Banquette, is marked. It
was occupied in 1831 by Mexican soldiers
to prevent Anglo-American colonization of
Texas. Captured Nov. 4, 1835, by Capt. Ira
Westover. The Corpus Christi Centennial
Museum, erected as part of the centennial
observance in 1936, has an interesting histori-
OCHILTREE: Eighteen miles southeast of
Perryton is the site of the Buried City
Pueblo ruin built by Panhandle Pueblo In-
dians, discovered in 1907 by Dr. T. L. Eyerly,
Homes Since 1876
5 V 1 II v 1 &FORT WORTH
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/98/: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.