Texas Almanac, 1945-1946 Page: 97
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Floyd V. Studer and other archaeologists
Dr. Warren K. Moorehead partly excavated
this ruin in 1919-20. The stone houses are
said by some historians to have been in ruins
when Coronado traversed this region in 1541.
OLDHAM: Tascosa is marked as site of
the "Cowboy Capital of the Texas Panhan-
dle," 1877-88. County seat Oldham County,
1881-1915. At Tascosa is the famous Boot Hill
Cemetery where "men who died with their
boots on" were buried.
PANOLA: Near arthage Is site of Bethany,
a thriving town in the fifties. The Shreve-
port Road, over which traveled many immi-
grants to Texas, passed through here. Eight-
een miles northeast of Carthage is site of
Pulaski, first county seat of Panola County,
1846-48. Named in honor of Pulaski, Miss.,
home of John Allison, first chief justice of
the county. Declined after county seat moved
to Carthage. At Clayton is the site of Church
Bethel, organized by Rev. Isaac Reed, Baptist
minister, September, 1843. Original minutes of
organization are in possession of this church.
PARKER: The Double Log Cabin at Hol-
land's Lake, 1.5 miles east of Weatherford
is a monument to the pioneers of Parker
County. In the east room George McCleskey
was killed by Indians in 1873. The west
room was Dan Waggoner's headquarters.
Ranch house built in 1855. Six miles north
of Weatherford is Veal's Station, settled in
1852. In 1858 an outstanding school was
established here by William G. Veal. It con-
tinued for more than half a century.
PECOS: At Fort Stockton is site of old
Fort Stockton, for which county seat is
named. Fort guarded San Antonio-San Diego
stage coach and mail route. Old guard house
and few other buildings stand today. Twenty
miles northwest of Girvin is location of Horse
Head Crossing on the Pecos River, so named
because John R. Bartlett while surveying the
Mexican boundary in 1850 found the crossing
marked with horses' skulls. The Comanche
Trail, Butterfield Route (1858-1861) and the
road from Fort Concho west passed here.
The Goodnight-Loving Trail, established in
1866, came here and turned up the Pecos.
POLK: The Alabama-Coushatta Indian Res-
ervation in the eastern part of the county
dates from 1854. Sam Houston, always the
friend of the Indians, was primarily respon-
sible for establishment of this reservation.
POTTER- At Amarillo is a monument to
Padre Fray Juan de Padilla, who accompa-
nied the Coronado expedition and remained
as missionary among Indilans. First martyr
for Christianity in Texas and the United
PRESIDIO: Monument at Presidio mark.
ing site of Presidio del Norte de la Junta,
established by Alonso Rubin de Cells, 1759-60.
This vicinity also the site of several missions
established in 1683-84 by Don Juan Domin-
f ez de Mendoza and Padre Fray Nicolas
opez. Monument erected by State of Texas
and Knights of Columbus, 1936. On approxi-
mate site of Mission San Francisco de los
Julimes at Presidio is marker. Four miles
east of Presidio is old home of Ben Leaton
(known as Fort Leaton), which he acquired
in 1848. His home was for many years a
frontier post and unofficial headquarters of
U. S. Army on border. Extensive ruins stand
RANDALL: On the campus of the West
Texas State Teachers College is the museum
of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Society,
housing a valuable collection of historical
relics, largely from this region.
REAL: Near Camp Wood is site of Mission
San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz, founded by
San Franciscan missionaries in 1762, aban-
doned in 1769. Site of old Camp Wood, fron-
tier post from 1857 to 1861.
RED RIVER: Red River County was the
center of a colonization movement unique in
early Texas history. Because the Sulphui
River was erroneously supposed by some to
be the international boundary line, instead
of the Red, there was a movement into this
region of Northeast Texas even before Aus-
tin's Colony was founded in South Texas
Clarksville was founded in 1832. Pecan Gap
and Jonesboro on the Red River were other
old settlements and ferry points. McKenzie
College at Clarksville was an outstanding ed-
ucatlonal institution of its day. Statue of
David Gouverneur Burnet stands at Clarks-
ville, erected as part of 1936 centennial ob-
servance. At Clarksville is site of The North-
ern Standard, edited and published from
Aug. 20, 1842 to Oct 25, 1887, by Col. Charles.
DeMorse, referred to as "the father of Texas
Journalism." Six miles southwest of Detroit
is the birthplace of John Nance Garner, Vice-
President of the United States, 1933-41.
REFUGIO: Monument at Refugo to Capt.
Amon B. King and his band of twenty-eight
men killed by the Mexicans, and to Lt. Col.
William Ward and his men who defended
Refuglo Mission against Mexican attack.
Erected in observance of Texas centennial.
Twelve miles southeast of Refugo are the
ruins of Copano, which was named for Indian
inhabitants. Important Texas port. 1822-1870.
Winter quarters of Texas Army, 1835.
RUNNELS: In southern part of county is
site of Mission San Clemente, established
1684 by the Mendoza Expedition. Some ruins
still stand at site of old town of Runnels,
county seat prior to removal to Ballinger,
located four miles north of Ballinger.
RUSK: The statue of Thomas Jefferson
Rusk, signer of the Texas Declaration of In-
dependence and active through a long period
of Texas history, stands in Henderson, erect-
ed as part of 1936 centennial observance.
SABINE- Monument on courthouse grounds
at Hemphill, commemorating events of his-
toric Sabine County, and in memory of early
settlers. There are many sites of historic
Interest Ifn this old county. West of Geneva
5.5 miles is the site of McMahan's Chapel, the
oldest Methodist Church having a continuous
existence in Texas. Organized by Rev. JameE
P. Stevenson at the home of Col. Samuel Mc-
Mahan in 1833. The first building was com-
pleted in 1839 by Rev. Littleton Fowler. Dis-
placed by new building In 1872 and again in
1900. At Sabinetown is marker commemorat-
ing the founding of the town by Herman
Frazier in 1839. It was a port of entry dur-
ing days of the republic.
SAN AUGUSTINE: One of Texas' oldest
towns, San Augustine, seat of San Augustine
County, site of many old residences of inter-
est, notably those of J. Pinckney Henderson,
first Governor of Texas after annexation;
Ben Roberts and S. W. Blount. The statue
of Henderson, erected as part of the 1936
centennial program, is located here. At Main
and Columbia Streets is the site of one of the
oldest first Methodist Episcopal Churches.
Cornerstone laid Jan. 7, 1838, under usages
of Masonic order. Near San Augustine is
site of Mission Nuestra Senora de los Dolores
de los Ais, established in 1716 by Franciscans
On Market Street, San Augustine, is site of
San Augustine University, incorporated 1837.
opened 1842, merged into University of East-
ern Texas, 1847. At Main and Bolivia Streets
is home of Matthew Cartwright, built in 1839.
Still in possession of his descendants. Seven
miles west of San Augustine on State High-
way 21, is home of Thomas S. McFarland,
soldier, surveyor and statesman, who laid off
town of San Augustine in 1833.
SAN JACINTO: Near Coldspring is site of
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Texas Almanac, 1945-1946, book, 1945; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117166/m1/99/: accessed April 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.