[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class] Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title [1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]
- Creation: 1921~
- Content Description: In 1921, Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom introduced the rite of Confirmation, the graduation from religious school that coincides with the Jewish holiday Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments. This picture shows the twelve, 14-year-old girls in the Confirmation class wearing white dresses, holding flowers and certificates rolled up like scrolls. The students are seated in two rows and are identified as: Row 1: Lena Shosid (Cooles), Fannie Herman, unidentified, Hannah Byrens, Bess Lipshitz (Cohen), unidentified Row 2: Sarah Shosid (Bloomberg), unidentified, unidentified, Leah Goldstein (Gerson), unidentified, unidentified An article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of June 3, 1921, named each confirmand and also listed Dorothy Cohen, Rose Weinstein, Bertha Mosier, Ida Mosier, Edna Lipshy, and Esther Ablon. Each confirmand addressed the congregation. They completed a course of study in Jewish history, religion and literature.
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 27 cm.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Religion - Churches - Congregations
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Religion - Denominations - Jewish
- Keyword: Jewish communities
- Keyword: Ahavath Sholom
- Keyword: confirmation
- Keyword: students
- Named Person: Shosid, Lena
- Named Person: Byrens, Hanna
- Named Person: Cohen, Bess Lipshitz
- Named Person: Shosid, Sarah
- Named Person: Bloomberg, Sarah
- Named Person: Goldstein, Leah
- Named Person: Gerson, Leah
- Named Person: Alpert, Ann
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Tarrant County - Fort Worth
- Coverage Date: 1926~
- Time Period: new-sou
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2010Code: SG10
Name: Fort Worth Jewish ArchivesCode: FWJA
- Accession or Local Control No: FWJA-CONF-000-1920s-pix
- Archival Resource Key: ark:/67531/metapth117182
- Display Note: Additional background about this photograph: Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom first instituted the rite of Confirmation in the mid-1920s; it is a graduation from religious school that coincides with the spring holiday of Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments.