[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]

Description

In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks.

Physical Description

1 drawing : b&w ; 17 x 21 in. ; laminated ; framed in black frame

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1846.

Context

This map is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 483 times , with 6 in the last month . More information about this map can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this map or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this map.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

The Palestine Public Library materials include local history photographs selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the digitization of at-Risk photographs and maps, as well as photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this map. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks.

Physical Description

1 drawing : b&w ; 17 x 21 in. ; laminated ; framed in black frame

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this map in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This map is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-risk Photographs and Maps, 2006, presents local history materials from eleven partners: the Clay County Historical Society, Genevieve Miller Public Library, the Palestine Public Library, the Laredo Public Library, the Archives of the Big Bend at Sul Ross State University, the Moore Memorial Public Library, UT Pan-American, the Clark Hotel Museum, the Austin Public Library, and Concordia University at Austin. Funding is provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this map?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this map.

Creation Date

  • 1846

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • April 17, 2006, 12:04 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Feb. 8, 2009, 2:04 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this map last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 6
Total Uses: 483

Where

Geographical information about where this map originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Map

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX], map, 1846; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11916/: accessed August 27, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.