1895 Ellis County Courthouse Typical Entrance

Description

Photograph of a typical entrance set in an inside corner on the 1895 Ellis County Courthouse in downtown Waxahachie, Texas. There are four main entrances set on the cardinal points of the compass. The Romanesque building was designed by architect James Riley Gordon. The building is massive limestone in gray for the foundation and Burnet limestone for structure, columns of rose colored granite columns, Pecos Red sandstone was used for arches, columns, and string courses. There are eagles and gargoyles for ornamentation.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Creation Information

Bell, Jim October 6, 2007.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection and was provided by Private Collection of Jim Bell to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 30 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of Jim Bell

The Private Collection of Jim Bell features photographs of the Texas county courthouses and the surrounding buildings and streets. Photographer and commercial contractor Jim Bell traveled throughout Texas photographing county courthouses, significant historical buildings and landmarks. His photographs also include interior views, architectural details, and historical markers.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a typical entrance set in an inside corner on the 1895 Ellis County Courthouse in downtown Waxahachie, Texas. There are four main entrances set on the cardinal points of the compass. The Romanesque building was designed by architect James Riley Gordon. The building is massive limestone in gray for the foundation and Burnet limestone for structure, columns of rose colored granite columns, Pecos Red sandstone was used for arches, columns, and string courses. There are eagles and gargoyles for ornamentation.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Notes

The cost of the courthouse also cost the county judge and commissioners their job in the next election.

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection

The Texas Architecture photograph collection consists of photographs of historic Texas county courthouses and their surrounding buildings, as well as historic bridges, churches, and landmarks. The photographs are all in color and were taken from 1990 to the present.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • October 6, 2007

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Sept. 30, 2010, 10 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Aug. 28, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 30

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Bell, Jim. 1895 Ellis County Courthouse Typical Entrance, photograph, October 6, 2007; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth119180/: accessed September 28, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of Jim Bell.