Uses of horses and mules in the U.S. Cavalry. Picture Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Uses of horses and mules in the U.S. Cavalry. Picture
Illustrator: Smithers, W. D. (Wilfred Dudley), 1895-1981.Creator Type: PersonalCreator Info: W. D. Smithers, born in Mexico in 1895, was a photographer, amateur historian and botanist, and free-lance journalist of the Big Bend area of Texas. Between 1914 and 1919, he served with the U. S. Army in the Big Bend, first as a civilian muleteer, then as a wagon master. He later was an aerial photographer of the area and in the 1930s photographed the entire U. S. border with Mexico for the International Boundary and Water Commission. From 1936 to 1974, he operated a photography shop in Alpine, Texas, where he became known for lamp shades made of photographs. He recorded life along the Mexican border between 1914 and 1974 in maps, pictures, and a memoir, Chronicles of the Big Bend.
- Creation: 1920
- Digitized: 2006-04-10
- Content Description: Illustrated explanation of the qualifications and duties of the men, horses, and mules of the Remount Service of the U. S. Cavalry.
- Physical Description: 1 photographic reproduction of a documentary drawing b&w 28 x 35 cm.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: United States. Army. Cavalry. Remount Service.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Horses -- Military service.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Mules -- Military service.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Transportation, military.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Military and War
- Item is a Primary Source
- Coverage Date: 1916~
Name: Rescuing Texas History, 2006Code: SG06
Name: Bryan Wildenthal Memorial Library (Archives of the Big Bend)Code: ABB
- Rights Access: public
- Call Number: PD 4 1920
- Digital Preservation: creationAppName: Adobe Photoshop creationAppVersion: 7 creationHardware: BetterLight Super8K