The 1928 Texas Almanac and State Industrial Guide Page: 294
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
294 THE TEXAS ALMANAC.
Texas Electric Power and Light
been made available for power manufac-
ture by the discovery that this fuel can
be burned in powdered form and by the
introduction of the "super-power" gener-
ating station with transmission lines. The
first big lignite burning plant in Texas
was constructed at Trinidad, Henderson
County, in 1925-26, and it has proved re-
markably successful. There is enough lig-
nite in Texas to furnish power, even on
far greater scale than at present, for
hundreds of years.
A number of large generating stations
have been built in Texas during the last
year, and there will be an enormous in-
vestment in generating stations and trans-
mission lines during the current year.
While Texas streams are not especially
1513 Commer e St.
TLT ..AS TEXYAs
adaptable to power development, there is
an appreciable manufacture of hydroelec-
tric power. The spring-fed streams of
Southwest Texas are utilized in operating
several plants, notably on the Guadalupe
River and its tributaries, and a plant will
be built in 1928 on the Devil's River.
Electricity for the Farm.
Steps toward making electric service
available to the farm population of Texas,
amounting to more than 2,100,000, were
taken in 1927. There is kn active com-
mittee consisting of farmers, agricultural
college faculty men and officials of pow-
er and light companies, studying the prob-
lem of rural electrification.
e DIRECT FROM FACTORY
We always ship tresh paints that spread easier
cover more wear longer and our prices save you
money Protect and beautify your property Send
lot once list and colo card today
Industrial Paint & Varnish Co.
Brief Descriptions of the 254 Counties of Texas.
ANDERSON-*Created and organized,
1846, area, 938 sq. mi ; Pop, 1920, 34,318;
*1927, 40,000; Alt., 500 ft.; *rainfall, 43 in.;
Central East Texas
The county lies on the divide between
the Trinity, which forms the west boun-
dary, and the Neches, which forms the
east boundary. The upland is a rolling
territory with some hills with sandy and
sandy clay soils. In the bottoms are
heavy alluvials. There is a considerable
growth of pine and much hardwood;
about ten sawmills are in operation. The
soils and climate are excellently adapted
to diversified farming and crops grown
for market include cotton, corn, toma-
toes, watermelons, spinach, cabbage, rib-
bon cane, peaches and pecans Dairying
products are increasing in shipments, and
there is a considerable quantity of cream
shipped from the county.
Palestine, the county seat, is a town of
about 16,000 population. It has large rail-
road shops of the Missouri Pacific system
and there are a number of other indus-
tries, including lumber mills and wood-
working, furniture making and allied in-
dustries. One of the two large salt works
of Texas is here.
ANDREWVS-* Created, 1876; organized,
1910; area, 1,565 sq. mi.; Pop., 1920, 350;
*1927, 1,000; Alt., 2,600 ft ; *rainfall, 21
in.; West Texas
This county lies on the plains bordering
New Mexico on the west. The surface is
level to gently rolling, crossed by long
draws leading to the headwaters of the
Concho. There are several salt lakes.
There is much sandy and sandy loam soil
with some loams. Grain sorghums and
forage crops and some cotton are grown:
Most of the county is devoted to cattle
raising on large scale. There is much
good soil, but most of the area is far re-
moved from rail transportation. A rail-
road was built across the eastern end of
the county some years ago, but there has
recently been a determined fight to re-
move the rails. Andrews, the county
seat, is a small inland town serving the
central and western part of the county as
retail trade and banking center.
ANGELINA-*Created and organized,
1846; area, 940 sq. mi.; Pop, 1920, 22,287;
*1927, 28,000; Alt., 350 ft.; *rainfall, 44 in.;
The county lies on the divide between
the Neches and Angelina Rivers, which
define its borders on west and east, re-
spectively. The north half is a rolling
wooded plain with some hills and with
red sandy and clay loam soils. The south
half is relatively level with sandy, sandy
loam and alluvial soils. Cotton and corn
are the principal crops, and there is some
market movement of sweet potatoes, to-
matoes and watermelons. Much of the
county is excellently adapted to truck
growing. The county lies in the heart of
the pine belt and there is a large lumber-
ing industry. The State Forestry Depart-
ment is conducting reforestation experi-
Lufkin, the county seat, is a town of
about 6,000. A number of manufacturing
industries are located here, including a
*See page 358 for explanatory notes and references
to additional information on counties and cities.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
The 1928 Texas Almanac and State Industrial Guide, book, 1928~; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123786/m1/297/: accessed July 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.