[University of Texas Old Main Building, 1925]

Description

Photograph of Old Main Building at UT featuring vine growth on building. A number of students and faculty walk on the sidewalks and lounge on the grass in front of and on the sides of the lawn. Architect F. E. Ruffini of Austin designed this building in the Victorian-Gothic style. The structure was built in three stages: the west wing was completed in 1883 for The University’s first class of 221 students; the central section in 1891; and finally the east wing in 1899. Old Main featured wide corridors, high rotundas, a 2,000 seat grand auditorium, a library, a chapel, … continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1925.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs and was provided by the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 5678 times, with 56 in the last month. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Austin History Center

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to Austin history.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of Old Main Building at UT featuring vine growth on building. A number of students and faculty walk on the sidewalks and lounge on the grass in front of and on the sides of the lawn.

Architect F. E. Ruffini of Austin designed this building in the Victorian-Gothic style. The structure was built in three stages: the west wing was completed in 1883 for The University’s first class of 221 students; the central section in 1891; and finally the east wing in 1899. Old Main featured wide corridors, high rotundas, a 2,000 seat grand auditorium, a library, a chapel, 9 spacious lecture halls, 30 classrooms, and even a dressing room for the ladies’ cloaks and bonnets. The Girl's Study Hall was furnished with wicker rocking chairs.

In 1932, a mere 35 year after the building was completed, the University announced the raising of Old Main in favor of building a new administration-library building, much to the protests of faculty, students, and residents of Austin.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in.

Subjects

Other

Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (LC)

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Austin History Center General Collection Photographs

These materials depict the city of Austin from the 1830s to the 1970s. They include a wide range of subjects, from the Texas State Capitol and Barton Springs to aerial views, cityscapes, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1925

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 27, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 23, 2014, 3:30 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 3
Past 30 days: 56
Total Uses: 5,678

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Place Name coordinates. (May be approximate.)
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. Zoom and Pan the map as needed.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

[University of Texas Old Main Building, 1925], photograph, 1925; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124238/: accessed April 23, 2024), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.

Back to Top of Screen