North Side of Denton Square

Description

A view of the business section on the north side of the Denton Square around 1889. All the buildings were constructed of wood, with board sidewalks of even lengths to aid the pedestrian in keeping out of the mud and sand of the unpaved streets. On the left is the three-story Cronston building. The Francis Hardware Store was on the lower floor. The Woodbine building was next to the Cronston and adjoining was Clay Wither's store. Emory C . Smith's law office and R. A. Cobb's confectionery in the next two buildings followed by the McNeil dry goods store. The ...

Physical Description

1 photographic print : b&w ; 8 x 5 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1889.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History and was provided by Denton Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 4131 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Provided By

Denton Public Library

The Denton Public Library partnered with UNT Libraries on a grant From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History, which was completed in 2007. Materials include local history photographs, maps, city directories, and some books. Funding for this project was provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

A view of the business section on the north side of the Denton Square around 1889. All the buildings were constructed of wood, with board sidewalks of even lengths to aid the pedestrian in keeping out of the mud and sand of the unpaved streets. On the left is the three-story Cronston building. The Francis Hardware Store was on the lower floor. The Woodbine building was next to the Cronston and adjoining was Clay Wither's store. Emory C . Smith's law office and R. A. Cobb's confectionery in the next two buildings followed by the McNeil dry goods store. The vacant lot was where the Lacy Hotel had burned down two years before. A saloon stands next and it is connected to a large building in which a meat market was operated.

Physical Description

1 photographic print : b&w ; 8 x 5 in.

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History

From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History draws on materials from the University of North Texas Libraries, the Denton Public Library, the Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum, and Texas Woman's University. Materials will include historic photographs, books, maps, city directories, and records from numerous Denton women's clubs. Work on this project began in March of 2006, and will continue through 2007. Funding for this project is provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1889

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • April 21, 2006, 2:11 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • April 12, 2014, 9:41 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 4,131

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

North Side of Denton Square, photograph, 1889; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth12444/: accessed July 23, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Denton Public Library.